Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Post Spring Positional Grades/Outlook

0 HS
Him1stftballl8er's picture
April 14, 2014 at 1:32am
13 Comments

So here are my post spring positional grades and outlook on each. Obviously not as accurate until fall camp but something to make the time go by. 

QB - A

I would give an A"+", but with Braxton's errors in progressions, a slight bump down from A+. Still reigning two-time B1G POY and future pro will make this offense powerful yet again. Cardale solidified himself as the backup. If Braxton goes down, we may be in some trouble. 

RB - A-

This group along with our DLine is the deepest position on the team. I think EzE, Smith, Dunn and Ball all could start for a majority of teams in the country. What we lose in power with Carlos we make up for in speed with EzE. Meyer really seems to like Curtis too. I think carries will be spread out more, but we should still have an imposing running game as long as our OLine is on par. 

WR - C

I give the receivers a C due to the simple fact that according to Meyer, receivers are not where they need to be and Meyer said he wasn't sure if they will reach where they want to be by season's arrival. No spots are locked up yet, but there are six who could, which gives us some depth. The guys he mentioned could start were Devin Smith, Johnnie Dixon, Mike Thomas, Corey Smith, Jalin Marshall, Evan Spencer and Dontre Wilson. I too am a little worried about our WR play. The evolution of this position will be huge in determining the outcome of the season for us. 

TE - A

Meyer said Heuerman and Vannett have the two spots locked up and he has mentioned a few times this spring how excited they are for these two. 

OL - B-

I give the OLine a B- because Tom Herman said they are way ahead of where they were in '12, but still not where they need to be. Decker and Elflein are the only two with spots locked up. I have confidence in Ed Wariner, but this group will be the most important determining factor to our teams success this year IMO. 

DLine- A+

A nine man rotation or maybe more. They love Johnson and we are deep and loaded with playmakers. Will anchor a much improved D this year IMO. With our aggressive coverages, I think our TFL and sacks go up this year. 

LB - B+

Meyer said Curtis has had his best spring as a Buckeye. Kwon is pushing though and Meyer said Curtis was in a battle. Perry is said to have Will locked up and Meyer has raved about Perry this spring. Meyer also said Lee isn't sure starter over Worley as both have played well. He said Lee was probable. With new scheme, our LB seems to have improved a lot. 

CB - B

Doran has one spot locked up and that Armani is the Nickel back, but he said second CB spot is wide open between Conley, Apple and Armani. Both Conley and Apple are above 6' with range and good ball skills that can be very physical. Everyone is noticing an improved play from our entire secondary. Doran will have an all B1G season and I expect our other starting CB to make some noise as well. With Webb and Lattimore coming in, this spot is only gonna get better. 

S - B+

Tyvis has one spot locked up. Meyer said that Burrows and Bell would compete for other spot. Either way our safeties are faster, smarter, and trigger much better with Ash here. I think this defense is going to be much better. Hopefully a nice surprise. 

Overall I think this Defense will be much better at getting off the field than our prior Defenses. A deep rotation at DLine with more speed and size in our back seven, a simpler and more aggressive scheme, I believe the focal point of this seasons success falls squarely on the shoulders of our OLine and a secondary hinderance on how effective our receivers can be. Potential playoff team that needs to sustain a solid power running game between the tackles, an effective passing game, and answers defensively. Two out of those three rely on a rebuilt offensive line. Time will tell but I think this team is faster, and potentially more explosive and diverse offensively, more explosive faster and smarter defensively with the talent to make the playoffs. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments