Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Ohio Stadium Team Flags

NGBuck21's picture
April 13, 2014 at 10:09pm
11 Comments

I know this was covered on the old 11W site, but what do the team flags represent in Ohio Stadium? I saw teams like Cincinnati and Boston College. Just curious to see if anyone knows off the top of their head.

brandonbauer87's picture

Usually opponents for the current season. 

+3 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Do we have to put the Rutgers flag up? :(

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

TheBadOwl's picture

Pretty sure it's usually all B1G teams and whoever we're playing out of conference that season, plus a few others that are typically non-conference opponents from the recent past or near future.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Represents how many wilderbeasts OSU has tamed over the years.

-1 HS
bukyze's picture

I always wished they'd hang the flag from tSUN upside down.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I can address this as a once measly freshman student assistant, the flags were my job:

Everyone is pretty much spot on. The south towers will have a tOSU flag and whoever our opponents are. The remaining B1G teams will go on the East side of the stadium (non-press box) and then remaining flag spots are generally used for OOC opponents or big time past opponents.

All in all, the big OOC opponents are flags that are probably 10-20 years old and they basically throw whichever ones don't look like hell up there.

I am sure this may change with the permanent lighting though.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+8 HS
@OSUDefender's picture

Good info here, thanks. I always wondered what the methodology was for the order of those flags.

+1 HS
SgtMdx's picture

Once again, I am smarter for having read 11Ws.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.
Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Much smarter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

osu07asu10's picture

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick