Ohio State football talk.

NFL GM's on Carlos Hyde

BassDropper's picture
April 2, 2014 at 1:05am
27 Comments

Multiple Teams Grade Carlos Hyde as a First-Round Prospect

Updated March 19, 2014 
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell 

A 50-year streak of running backs being selected in the first round snapped in 2013, as no halfbacks were selected Thursday night. Many expect this new trend to continue, but we learned that a running back is being graded out as a first-rounder this year. That player is Ohio State's Carlos Hyde. 

League contacts say that Hyde is a difference-maker and worthy of a top 32-pick based on his talent. They love his combination of power and quickness. They feel that he is a power back who can control a game from start to finish and can remake an NFL offense. 

Multiple teams we've spoken to are giving Hyde a first-round grade, but that doesn't mean he'll be a first-round pick. Over the past few years, the running back position has been devalued in the first round. Running backs have been flaming out quickly in the NFL, and many teams have changed to run a running-back-by-committee approach. Plus, Hyde's off-the-field issues could work against him. 

Some teams we've spoken to picking at the top of the second round believe that Hyde could get to their pick, and they feel he's worthy of going in Round 1. Sources believe that as a second-rounder, Hyde could be one of the steals of the 2014 NFL Draft. 

Hyde (5-11, 230) is a one-cut downhill runner who can pick up yards after contact by running over defenders. He fits a man or zone blocking scheme. He was suspended for the first three games of the 2013 season, but after that, he dominated the Big Ten. He averaged 7.3 yards per carry for 1,521 yards with 15 touchdowns. Hyde also had 16 receptions for 147 yards and three scores through the air. Evaluators we've talked to feel that he has nice receiving ability for a big back. 

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

This is big news for Carlos. Walter Football has a good reputation, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Carlos end up in the first round.

RunEddieRun1983's picture

The Seattle Seahawks should take him.  Hear me out.  At 32 they have no seriously glaring needs, say for maybe wide receiver but even then they have suitable players that can keep them afloat at the position plus they have Russel Wilson.  They have a great O-line, and the 1-2 punch of Hyde and Lynch would destroy all opposing defenses.  In a few years when Lynch is done, Hyde can take over as the permanent starter, and the production shouldn't weign in their running game.  I should be an NFL GM.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+2 HS
Ethan's picture

I'm never upset when Buckeye players go to great teams, but the Seahawks also have a young guy by the name of Christine Michael on their team. When healthy at Texas A&M, he was a beast -- fast, strong, and explosive, he's a potential difference maker. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed Ethan I would love the Hawks to take CH and you're right Christine is the real deal but with who they lost after their super bowl parade to free agency they have depth to fill in other spots. D-line O-line and WR at least in my opinion.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Christine Michael and Robert Turbin are both starters on almost any other NFL team IMO. Both of them have shown flashes of greatness.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

BuddhaBuck's picture

I completely agree. It just depends on whether Seahawks management believes that they already have their replacement in R.Turbin (24) and C.Michael (23). 

Looking at the rest of bottom 1/5th of the First Round:

• 26. Browns - Could have been a real possibility here before they picked up Ben Tate and Dion Lewis.  
  • 27. Saints - PT Cruiser (29) and Mark Ingram (24) are solid guys. Probably going DEF with this pick.
  • 28. Panthers - Maybe here? Both DAWilliams (30) and J.Stewart (27) are unreliable and always on IR. 
  • 29. Patriots - No. Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Bolden. Next.
  • 30. Niners - No. Gore (30), Hunter (25), Dixon (26), plus they just drafted Lattimore last year...
  • 31. Broncos -  No. Too much youth already and they need a ton of DEF help.
  • 32. Seahawks - Maybe (see above).

if I had to guess, he's going to fall into the 2nd round purely based on team needs.. Early 2nd rounder to the Jags or Falcons would make a lot of sense..

Don't text while driving.

BUCKfutter's picture

but it would be so browns to pick up two RB's in FA then draft another in the 1st round

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

Just an FYI, Blount no longer with NE. Still wouldn't see NE taking Hyde though.

Buck-I4Life

PittBuckeye's picture

But NE always makes smart picks, and picks people don't see coming. Hyde fits that mold.

Seattle Linga's picture

Al Davis always made me watch the Raiders picks because he was famous for picking the guys that were off every ones radar. RIP Al RIP

FitzBuck's picture

If NE didn't have so many holes to fill on D I would agree.  Urban and Bill are friends, Ridley was in the dog house due to turnovers and Vereen is not a traditional back that goes between the tackles.  It would be a nice fit but it doesn't seem likely.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

bedheadjc's picture

"wane" ....but I applaud you for dropping it on this forum. And you're completely right about Seattle needing to do this.

Jeremypreemo81's picture

IMO Carlos is a a AFC North/NFC West type of back.  They play grind out football in those divisions.  Pound the ball and force the other teams to stop it.  Carlos is perfect for those type of offenses.  Not saying he couldnt be successful in other offenses.  But no matter where he goes he will bring a lot of value to a team

northwoods buckeye's picture

He should thank Eddie Lacy for the numbers he put up last year, since they are similar backs: tough, punishing runners with surprising speed and agility. Reminds GMs that the power game still has value. Best of luck, Carlos.

Conan! What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Squirrel Master's picture

I really wish evaluators also look at how many times did he get stopped for negative yards. I think it was pretty much 1 or 2 plays and late in the season against UM or MSU.

to me, that is the most dominating stat for Hyde. He won't lose yards in short yardage situations. In the NFL, teams would love to have an almost guarantee with a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. Although I think he is almost as automatic at anything 3 yards  and in. He just doesn't get taken down easily.

good find btw Bass!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

BAR43's picture

Great points and completely agree. Any team would love to have a back who can get you 1+ yd 99% of the time.... the hurt still remains why we didnt follow this logic on the 4th and 1 against MSU in B1G Champ game...

+1 HS
alust2013's picture

That was the most painful play of the season.

...and Michigan still sucks.

cw823's picture

It was the best play of the season.  It put the Buckeyes in a winnable bowl game instead of getting whipped by FSU.  And don't start the OSU could've beat FSU argument, as it's absurd.

I think Urban was okay with losing that way to save some face in January

Deadly Nuts's picture

I'd rather be 13-1 than 12-2

LEBRON

buckeyeboy31's picture

Why run the ball on 3rd and 1?

Best regards,

P. Shurmur

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Don't be surprised if the Patriots take Hyde.

They have been looking for that reliable workhorse RB for years, but haven't found a consistent guy.

Blount came on strong at the end of last season, so it was a bit of a surprise they didn't re-sign him, (Blount signed w/ the Steelers). I don't think they see Vereen or Ridley as true #1 guys, but Hyde has the durability and versatility to be that true #1 guy.

I don't like the Pats, but they do a great job in the draft. They would continue that if they took Hyde this year.

BassDropper's picture

I wouldn't be surprised if Guapo was taken by a spread team, ala Carolina, Eagles or 49ers. I know the last two teams I mentioned have pro bowl running backs, but Frank Gore is in his 30's and RBs shelf life's are short.Chip Kelly might jump at the chance to take Carlos if he is available in at their pick in the 2nd to give the Eagles a great 1-2 punch of speed and power. 

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS

I just don't see Carolina taking anyone other than a receiver. they have none!

I seriously think Cleveland should take him with their second #1 pick, or trade one of those 3rd or 4th rounders with a second to move up and get him as a third #1 pick. I think he would do really well for Cleveland, although will Cleveland do well for him.

BassDropper's picture

As a Browns fan, I have been wanting them to draft Carlos all year....I just can't see it happening now that they got one of the best FA RB's, a guy they have targeted since the Trent Richardson trade. There is still hope a Buckeye goes to my Brownies though...Shazier, Roby and even Mewhort are all real possibilities. I think all three have potential to be pro bowlers.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS

Mewhort would be a great pick in the 4th, still decent in the 3rd where I think he will go. I think he is very unheralded, especially when everyone has Lewan as a locked in 1st. I just don't see that big of a difference.

BassDropper's picture

I don't see much of a difference at all. Jack is one of the best, if not the best LT in my time watching OSU (yes, I unfortunately missed out on watching Orlando). Between Mewhort and Lewan, Mewhort can play all 5 positions on the line and doesn't have a track record of being a douche like Lewan. Jack will probably start out as a guard, with a chance to move to tackle...but I truly think he will have a great career.

While on the subject of other Buckeyes draft stock....is this the best draft eligible OSU class since 03? I know the class is small overall, but there are some really talented players. 3 Buckeyes have a legit chance of going in the first round. I have seen Mewhort mocked as high as a 2nd round pick. At least 1 other OL will get drafted...and Philly has a chance in this deep WR class. CJ Barnett is a guy who will be a late rounder, but could surprise and go as high as the 4th. 

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS

I would say the best since 2006 probably. Although 2009 was pretty nice with Malcolm Jenkins, Beanie Wells, the animal and Robiski all being drafted in the first 2 rounds.

but 2006 was a nice group.

1 A.J. Hawk LB Packers 5
  1 Donte Whitner CB Bills 8
  1 Bobby Carpenter LB Cowboys 18
  1 Santonio Holmes WR Steelers 25
  1 Nick Mangold C Jets 29
  3 Ashton Youboty CB Bills 70
  3 Anthony Schlegel LB Jets 76
  4 Nate Salley S Panthers 121
  4 Rob Sims OL Seahawks 128

http://buckeyefansonly.com/nfldrafthistory.html#ixzz2xlBlTTCv

BassDropper's picture

1st Will Smith Defensive End New Orleans Saints- 1 Pro Bowl/67.5 career sacks

1st Chris Gamble Defensive Back Carolina Panthers-9 year career (retired)/27 career INTs

1st Michael Jenkins  Wide Receiver Atlanta Falcons-9 year career/350 rec 25 TDs
3rd Ben Hartsock Tight End Indianapolis Colts-Still in league/31 career rec 1TD
3rd Tim Andersonackle Buffalo Bills- 1 career sack
3rd B.J. Sander  Punter Green Bay Packers- 14 games
3rd Darrion Scott  Defensive End Minnesota Vikings-3.5 career sacks
4th Alex Stepanovich  Center Arizona Cardinals-46 games
4th Will Allen  Defensive Back Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Active player/ 6 INTS
5th Craig Krenzel  Quarterback Chicago Bears-3 TDS 6 INTS
5th Drew Carter  Wide Receiver Carolina Panthers-8 career TDs
5th Robert Reynolds  Linebacker Tennessee Titans- 33 games/ 1 safety 
7th Shane Olivea Tackle San Diego Chargers-31 starts
7th Adrien Clarke Guard Philadelphia Eagles-18 starts

1st A.J. Hawk  Linebacker Green Bay Packers-Active/ 833 tackles 18.5 sacks 17 turnovers forced
1st Donte Whitner  Defensive Back Buffalo Bills-2x Pro Bowler/24 turnovers forced
1st Bobby Carpenter  Linebacker Dallas Cowboys-3.5 sacks/ quality radio host
1st Santonio Holmes  Wide Receiver Pittsburgh Steelers-Super Bowl MVP/36 TDs
1st Nick Mangold  Center New York Jets-5x Pro Bowler/3x All Pro/ 
3rd Ashton Youboty Defensive Back Buffalo Bills-2 career INTS
3rd Anthony Schlegel Linebacker New York Jets- 34 tackles
4th Nate Salley  Defensive Back Carolina Panthers-11 tackles
4th Rob Sims  Guard Seattle Seahawks-105 games/ 94 starts

I don't think its close when comparing the 2. 2006 has been a great OSU class.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS