Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Correcting a mistake

toad's picture
March 27, 2014 at 8:37pm
17 Comments

I read a column on here a few weeks ago concerning not buying into the hype of highly rated recruits. It pointed out the "failure" of certain players, mentioning some of having "washed out" of the NFL. One name mentioned was Michael Brewster.  Brewster is heading into his 3rd season on the Jaguars roster, and will be the the #1 center entering camp this season. I still don't get the purpose of articles that would dismiss a guy that came up only one game short of the record for starts in a Buckeye uniform, kept his nose clean for all 4 years, was an AA his Jr. year, and is a proud OSU alum. Here's how "washed out" his career is......

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=jacksonville-jaguar...

lamplighter's picture

Good for him  Unfortunate he is with such a bad team.  I thought the knock on him was arm length, which didn't make sense to me with so many teams going shotgun.  But then I'm no GM and I never played center.

Deadly Nuts's picture

He also has to block for MGO Mop Head.

LEBRON

DJ Byrnes's picture

Thanks for the heads up, Toad. I'll address this in tmrw's Skull Session at 6:00 AM.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Jason Priestas's picture

You should link to the article so we have some context. Brewster has done well for himself, but his Ohio State career and his pro career to this point has not matched the considerable hype he had as a five-star recruit in high school.

toad's picture

I would think starting 49 games, being an AA, and being part of a team that won 2 BCS bowls is being successful. He's only in his 3rd year in NFL, it's a bit early to call it poor yet, don't you think? My problem was that the article was factually wrong.

+6 HS
BroJim's picture

Thanks Toad

I season my simple food with hunger

toad's picture

DJ you wrote the article, and posted that the Jags had cut him or were about to.

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

I know.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

osu_chris's picture

FWIW, I thought the purpose of DJ's article was to illustrate how our expectation of success for a player (or an entire recruiting class) shapes the way we view his legacy. I'm glad Brewster has caught on in the NFL, but his "washout" is a fairly trivial detail in the article and not really relevant to the main point.

toad's picture

Yeah, why worry about whether the information used to prove the point is accurate. As long as he gets his point across, right?

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah because I know I never make mistakes...

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
osu_chris's picture

Is that you Mike?

Look, the part about Brewster’s current status in the NFL occupies one part of one clause in the entire article. It’s hardly the lynchpin of the argument. The article makes the same point without any mention of his time in the NFL.

Kudos to you for pointing out the mistake. I just don’t see why this is such a sensitive issue, nor why you felt the need to deliver a rousing defense of Brewster’s career as though DJ had personally wronged him when a simple, “Hey DJ, check this out,” with a link to the ESPN article would have sufficed. This isn’t some vendetta against Brewster and his legacy; it was just an honest mistake.  

+1 HS
toad's picture

As a matter of fact I did post such a response to the original article, but for some reason it is now blank. 

I wasn't looking for kudos, and I'm really not particularly sensitive about the issue, despite my post. I wasn't the only person to point out the mistake in the OP. Trust me, I'm sure it was an honest mistake, and I'm sure DJ is a big boy and can take some criticism when he makes one.Lord knows we all have no problem criticizing a player when they make a mistake, are writers off limits?

No, I'm not Mike....

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Good catch...Me not caring as much about the NFL had no clue when I read the original article and actually felt sorrow for Brewster because I thought he was very talented and got the short end of a Bollman stick. Glad to see this isnt the case,any of our linemen that left here under Bollman might take a couple years of real NFL coaching before their potential is realized. Makes self note.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
toad's picture

This is exactly why I brought it up. A friend saw the article and was telling me how surprised he was that Brewster wasn't playing any more. I thought it was only fair to correct it.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You did well Toad - good job