Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State men's and women's basketball discussion.

Matta needs to recruit shooters

HotSauceCommittee's picture
February 28, 2014 at 12:20am
31 Comments

Love Coach Matta so this ain't a Fire
Matta thread. Dear Coach please recruit one shooter per class going forward. He can be slow and non-athletic like Fred Hoyberg (aka The Mayor) or whatever, just find a few kids who can shoot pull up jumpers or knock down open looks.

MacG91's picture

He has, Della Valle was supposed to be a dead eye and that is you slow, non athletic white guy and Kameron Williams from this past class is supposed to be a shooter but got injured. 

Mac..yeah

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

They're all saving their jump shots for March when they really need them.  This is all part of the plan.

+5 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Is it sad that I think that is the case?

LEBRON

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Wait, so you're trying to tell us that its important to get the ball in the hoop during the game of basketball? Someone must inform Matta of this at once! I believe he thought he was out recruiting brick layers for a construction company. This astute observation will revolutionize the sport, I say! I haven't seen anything so brilliant since Joe Bausermen was told he needed to throw to the players wearing the same color jersey as himself.

+2 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Agree, but I posted in another thread, we will not go anywhere without an elite big man.  We probably wont get Myles Turner, so are we recruiting anyone else for 2014?  Our options at center right now are not exactly dominating, on either side of the ball.

+5 HS
WezBuck28's picture

My thoughts exactly..

AngryWoody's picture

Is it bad that I want to make a Jarvaris Crittenton joke? Yes, probably.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
312Buckeye's picture

You mean you're not happy with "The Bricklayer"(aka Lenzelle Smith)?  Pathetic last night!

Nutinpa's picture

Matta will have to recruit a shooter, because it does not look like he can develop one. While I am sure there have been others, the only two guys in his program that improved ....or seemed to improve their offensive game over 4 years were Diebler and Lighty.

Craft, Scott, Sammy T and LSJ have not showed any marked or consistent improvement in scoring ability since their freshman years. I realize Chris Jent left, but this is still inexcusable and a question mark on the coaching staff. Amir has improved, yes.  But the bar was set pretty low. Trey Mac?  Plays with so much heart and so little ability.  When the Buckeyes were truly an elite team they had Greg Oden or Sully in the low post. Even Dallas Lauderdale was a good enforcer in the paint.  Until they secure big men like them in the future, without absolute snipers from the arc like Deebs was in his senior year.....this is a middling basketball team.  People boasting about this being another "20 win season" to be celebrated... are waiting for the tooth fairy, I guess.  This team was SWEPT by Penn State....a team with only one guy on the roster who Matta would have taken the time to recruit.  

Whoa Nellie's picture

Team misses Chris Jent.  Great shooting coach.  LBJ's personal shooting coach, who really helped him develop that part of his game.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+4 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

EXACTOMUNDO!    (Samuel L. Jackson voice)

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

Oyster's picture

He also put pressure on Matta to play more than 7 guys during a game.  Now that he is gone, right back to a small core group and the rest sit and watch.

-1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

That's about as false as it gets. Every scholarship player is in the rotation except Kam Williams. 

Hovenaut's picture

"What's up Brickeye?"

The greeting I've received upon arriving at work.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Matta's issue isn't the recruitment of these players, most were highly regarded recruits, its just astounding that these guys, for the most part, have hardly looked like they deserved lofty evaluations in high school. ADV as a shooter is worse than Diebler was as a freshman (he was pretty crap then). This team is just not very good.

JakeBuckeye's picture

You do not remember Diebler's freshman year if you think ADV is worse than Diebler's freshman year.

1MechEng's picture

We. Need. Chris. Jent.

'Nuff said.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Because he did such an amazing job with Craft? It was well documented that they worked extensively on his jumper. 

route4buckeye's picture

I'm more concerned with a big man. We have shooters in the 13 and 14 classes. What are we going to do when Amir is gone after next season?

+1 HS
chili96's picture

Diebler was a certified gym rat from the stories I've read about him. He was always in the gym putting up shots at all hours of the night and would get teammates to do the same. I don't know if there's anyone on this team that is like that. Let's face it 3-time academic all americans are not in the gym past midnight working on their shot. I don't know what med school Craft wants to attend, but if it's not OSU, then he's probably studying for the MCAT, not to mention the fact that he's engaged.

I know there are challenges to being a student athlete, but the really elite guys are always working on their game. We were really fortunate to have some of these guys like Evan Turner and Diebler. Didn't ET dribble around campus w/his left hand the off-season before he started playing PG?

I don't know what the issue is with this team, maybe they are working really hard behind the scenes, but it doesn't show offensively. Maybe it's unfair to compare them to those other guys, but maybe it's not coaching as much as it is attitude and work ethic. When you put in the hard work, you get confidence in your shot.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Very correct. Shooting is more about repetition and confidence than it is form. 

bstadnik's picture

Matta doesn't need to recruit better shooters, he needs to recruits SCORERS! I played bball in college and was a good shooter, but a better scorer. They are not the same people. Yes, being a great shooter HELPS you to score, but what this team sorely lacks is that guy who WANTS to score and can do it. Think DT last year. He was a decent shooter, but dude could fill buckets. They don't really have that guy who when they need a bucket demands the ball and delivers. Q is trying, but his I don't think it's in his personality to be "The MAN". Think back to when Sully was here, he demanded the ball and teams had to respect him. That opens things up so much for the "shooters", those stand still jump shooters, a la Jon Deibler. Right now the other team basically doens't have to guard Craft, Scott or Lenzel from outside 15 feet. Q is the only option this team has and he's not built to carry a team. What DT brought to the table was the guy who, when not shooting great would go low, get fouled, get an O rebound and put back. That is what a scorer does. Can you recall any offensive rebounds last night and put backs? DT WANTED to score and you need the ball to do that.

When Thad gets another guy with a scorer's mentatilty, we'll be fine. That will open things up for the others and make their games that much better. Craft's shot has actually looked better this year, but he isn't playing as the 4th option anymore, he's now the 2nd option sometimes.

Brian

Go Bucks!

Adam21's picture

After seeing Keita Bates-Diop in person, i think he definitely falls into the "scorer" column.

Waltbuck's picture

Bstadnik, I couldn't have said it any better.  That being said I think our future looks bright. Love Craft, hope he can rally the troops to finish strong in the BIG tournament.

UrbanCulture's picture

Anyone notice Q's three point shot has been really ugly recently? He is almost pushing the ball. Hope the staff hasn't messed with his shot

ScarletNGrey01's picture

Great group of kids, good athletes, a lot of veterans, a lot of heart and good defensively, but something is missing.  I know it's a cliche ... this team does not have an identity ... but I think in this case it's true along with a lack of confidence at times on offense.  I remember a couple of seasons ago UConn starting clicking in the post season and came out of nowhere and ended up winning it all, so there is always hope.

The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win. -- Woody Hayes

+1 HS
trock's picture

That team also had Kemba...we don't have a player like him.

Whoa Nellie's picture

This guy's available.  Never misses, and can hit from anywhere.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Bumpaliscious after this shooting atrocity.

trock's picture

This team can't even make free throws. They need to change up the coaching or something because this is pathetic. 

wademccoy's picture

Its all about the player and  how much work they put into the game.