Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

What interesting interactions have you had with players from Ohio State?

JakeBuckeye's picture
April 4, 2014 at 12:54pm
103 Comments

Inspired by the CFB Reddit thread. I thought that some of 11W might have some pretty interesting stories.

kareemabduljacobb's picture

Cris Carter shafted me wayyy back in the day when I tried to get his autograph after a game vs the lions, I think it was 97 I was probably in 4th grade.   Ruined my life :( lol

+1 HS
LealmanBuckeye's picture

Sent for and received an autograph from Mike Tomczak when he was with the Packers. Also spoke to Jim Karsatos when he called into the call center where I work.

JakeBuckeye's picture

Technically, Jim Karsatos is my only connection to Ohio State (other than the fact that I now attend). My dad went to high school with him (Sunny Hills High School in Fullerton, CA). I was always independently an Ohio State fan as a kid, but it was cool when my dad remembered and told me that he went to high school with the '85 team MVP.

Buckeyeneer's picture

Decleated Tim Anderson in high school.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
osupolo's picture

That's impressive. 

Edit: I just remembered a GREAT story about him. I met a female student who said she hooked up with him. Well he slipped her the shocker and she asked what the hell that was. He replied "sorry, I've got big fingers".

+3 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

That funny. Yeah, I was a senior and got under his pads. As I lineman, it was my Al Bundy "Four touchdowns in a single game". I saw him a couple of times at the bar and my buddies always wanted me to bring it up to him but I figured what's the point he went on to do great things in football and I finished my career at the end of that season. He could pound me into the ground if he wanted to in college.

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

When I was younger, my siblings we're on the YMCA swim team with Bobby Carpenter...my sister knew him fairly well from how I understand it. Personally I don't recall meeting him though lol

UFM_Renewal

jamesrbrown322's picture

One of my high school friends married him. That's the closest I've ever gotten to knowing an OSU player.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Ashtabula's picture

No special stories about current players, but I have had the chance to have a few beers with Urban over the years due to having mutual friends. He tells some crazy stories about his coaching experiences and stories of him as a youth in Ashtabula are legendary.

+6 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Without going into too many details, do you care to share an example of this legend you speak of? 

Inquiring minds need to know

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

Ashtabula's picture

Ultra-competitive person...while in Little League through high school he would beg people to hit him ground balls for hours. He would wear people out with his work ethic.

While in high school, he called out a few of the assistant coaches because he felt they were not putting forth full effort.

Urban being Urban. 

+5 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Thanks for indulging me.  Sounds like he would have been a heck of a dude to know back in the day.  Especially if the youth version of Urban stuck by the motto of work hard/play hard.   I bet the play hard Urban was nuts.

DannyBeane's picture

I literally ran into Greg Oden. I was looking for my seating assignment in my Bio lecture and wasn't paying attention it apparently didn't see the 15 foot tall 40 year old basketball player in front of me. I remember just craning my head up to look at him and just said with confused excitement in my eyes "You're Greg Oden?" He chuckled and then I got into my seat.

+5 HS
buckeyes1934's picture

I was in my US History 150 class (might have been 151), and Maurice Wells and Doug Worthington were in my class. The TA asked what our first thought was when she said "the old west." People were saying cowboys, or some stuff like that. When it came time for Maurice Wells he said, "Tupac vs. Biggie." The class lost it.

+7 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

For me, nothing too crazy yet. I have economics with Evan Lisle, Ezekial Elliot, and Nick Vannett. Lisle and Elliot seem like calm, cool guys. Vannett, unfortunately kind of seem likes a tool. Raekwon McMillian and Johnnie Dixon live on my floor, as well. They are cool, generally quiet guys. 

I walked behind Aaron Craft for about 2 minutes on my way to class the day after we lost to Dayton. At the time it was depressing to see him.

+3 HS
ITWASME's picture

From personal experience, seeing as i currently attend Westerville South, everyone from Westerville Central is a douche which Vannett is from

FROMTHE18's picture

was loose-friends with a couple guys back in the day…any experience with players was always solid, none of them were too cocky, if you get over the whole OMG! OSU PLAYERS! thing, they are just normal dudes, pretty chill. An exception and a common tale for most of us who went to OSU or met him before on a night out: ran into TP at the O Patio in 2008, was a douche. 

JakeBuckeye's picture

Yeah, most interaction-with-TP stories during his freshman and sophomore years don't seem to be very pleasant. I know of a legendary TP story that has spread across the internet of him walking into a party and loudly asking "Who's sucking Terrelle Pryor's d*** tonight?"

+3 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

True story. My cousin was at that party.

+2 HS
UFest57's picture

Bobby Carpenter bought me (along with a group) a shot a few years after he left OSU. I think it was Nuthouse...IDK, a lot of blacking out in those days. 

buckeyeEddie27's picture

Met Ed Warriner at the Memorial Tourney last year.   I was in the Amstel booth with a couple buddies and in he walks with his son.  I didn't bother him initially.  I was in line at the little food table they had set up and I heard a voice from behind me ask "are there any meatballs left?" so I turned to see it was Ed.  I responded, "if you promise to go 12-0 again this year, I promise to save you some" I quipped.  He laughed, and said "we need to do better than that or I'll be out of a job!"

Not long after meatballs were enjoyed by all, Coach Boals strolls in with his arm in a sling.  I couldn't resist asking if he hurt it in a dunk competition with Slam. He laughed and said no, just an old injury acting up.

DannyBeane's picture

You should have asked him to go 14-0

brandonbauer87's picture

I met Aaron Craft at Cane's on Olentangy one day. I just acknowledged him and left him alone. Once the rest of the crowd recognized him they bothered him though. This was the spring after his freshman season. 

-1 HS
LouBuck35's picture

I went to Dustin Fox's wedding. His wife lived on my floor freshman year.  There was a pretty good stable of players at the wedding including Mike Doss (I believe), Simon Fraser and AJ Hawk.  Bobby Carpenter was #drunj.  He was doing the worm and various other things on the dance floor.  It was a really entertaining reception.

Speaking of Hawk, he was on my travel baseball team from 6th through 8th grade.  We also played basketball against each other growing up (I never played football).  You could tell that he was going to make something out of himself as an athlete.  He was head and shoulders above everyone else on the field in any of the 3 sports he played.  As a middle schooler, it was absurd how hard he would hit the ball.  Ultimately, he bailed on the other sports to focus on football and it was obviously the right choice.

I also went to grade school and high school with Mangold. Funny to see him where he is now. It took quite a while for his athleticism to catch up to his size - he was fairly uncoordinated growing up. But he certainly put it together as evidenced by his multiple Pro Bowl trips

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+4 HS
Bags5150's picture

Almost downvoted you because you're an Alter grad! Lol!  Fairmont class of 84. Lived on Ackerman down the street from Alter

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Looks like some else felt the same way! (upvote for you both)

OSUStu's picture

I probably shouldn't go into the details of either story but... Once, I came home one night from partying to find Steve Bellasari passed out on my couch.  And I very nearly got my ass kicked by Kenny Peterson at Quarters for repeating something I'd been told about him.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

I used to play poker rather often with Hawk, Mangold, their roommate, Johnny, and a handful of others such as Carpenter and Nugent. I also played Halo with Nick and Johnny frequently too. They were pretty cool guys to hang out with and were nice to know to get into the clubs/bars without waiting.

Edit: I also beat Boeckman on some good hands a couple times.

+1 HS
Bags5150's picture

Played an intermural basketball game against Keith Byars, Tom Tupa, Jim Karsatos, Chris Carter, Pepper Johnson and Mike Lanese.  Lost by 30.  They were all really cool and alot of fun.  Amazing athletes.

jamesrbrown322's picture

Wow, now THAT is a stacked IM team,

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Chief B1G Dump's picture

I dont want to sound like a turd but I was pretty tight with some folks on the football team from 2001 - 2006ish. They were pretty well known players. We hung out often.
Again, wont say too much but if for some reason you are familiar with my posting, I let out little PG-13 rated blurbs here abd there.

Smanpoint10's picture

I got Clarrett's autograph and about a week later he comes to the chick fil a I work at, so I talked to him then. Another time Sam thompson came through the drive thru and told me he would pay for the guy behind him. It was shannon scott

+4 HS
Urban_Can_Recruit's picture

Almost got ran over by Cardale Jones couple months ago. He thought he was on the 1st floor, but I was getting on on the 4th. He wasn't paying attention and almost trucked me. He apologized afterwards and laughed, but it was all cool. Cardale is gosh dang huge if you haven't seen him in person. I have several stories cause alot of the football players live in the same dorm as me.  

OSUnathen's picture

Watched A very drunk and immature Finkes and Vrabel lose repeatedly at pool to my best friend at Pannini's back in 97'. Finkes busted 2-3 pool sticks over his knee and had to be held back by Fickell and Ryan Miller after my buddy told him he sucked at pool. My buddy is an in-athletic 5'10 185lbs but a smart ass/pool shark. 

+3 HS
OSUnathen's picture

Vacationed at HHI last May  and happen to rent a house right next to RJ Umberger's house. I talked to him probably 3-4 times and our kids actually played together before I realized who he was. I don't really follow hockey. 

DWright's picture

I met Terrelle Pryor and Boom Herron at a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Hilliard. And by "met" I mean I asked the girl selling shoes there to take a picture of us all together as I stood there awkwardly hoping they weren't annoyed.

I see current players on campus all the time. There's a certain hot spot on campus where most sightings occur. I saw Braxton one time but didn't talk to him.

Last week I stopped at a gas station in Grandview. I saw a matte black Dodge Charger with black rims and blacked out windows. I was wondering what kind of mogul was driving such a car and then I saw Bradley Roby step out and proceed to fill his tank.

Some of my good friends in my major program are former OSU lacrosse players and a couple of them play professionally. We are on a first name basis.

OSUnathen's picture

Bar-tended at a local Bar on Bethel rd about 4-5 years ago and Nick Swisher came in. I actually carded him cause I wasn't 100 percent sure when he walked in. I remember asking him to take it easy on my Indians in return for a drink on the house ( he played for the White Sox then)I was amazed how genuinely nice he was and he actually came back up to bar when he left and said thanks and shook my hand.

+1 HS
SoCalBuck26's picture

I met Craig Krenzel once, he was very drunk and so was I, he was trying not to fall, and he asked for directions to a party on 12th.  In my drunken euphoria, I sent him the wrong way =( 

I called Lydell Ross a bitch to his face @ Zigs, then I ran away.

I shouted out Bobby Carpenter name while he was getting out of a taxi on Norwich, and he then started to run after the truck I was in, yelling obscenities at us.  I blame it on the 'roids or he was very drunk. 

Was at a party Justin Zwick was throwing, and every time he pointed to a girl, they would flash him, that man had power.  

While working @ Brazenhead on St. Patty's day, the man and legend A.J. Hawk came in, he was awesome, he let me hug him (it sounds more creepy when you write that down) and take a pic w/him and his wife.  

And my ultimate fan moment, I met Eddie George @ LAX, I was walking around with an OSU hoddie, and he yelled O-H and I almost didn't say I-O b/c of my crappy flight, but when I looked over, it was Eddie, almost fainted haha.  

+3 HS

My grandfather was friends with Coach Hayes and I got to stand on the sidelines for a number of games when I was very young. When I was 3 Archie Griffin handed me the ball after he scored a TD and I was ready to fight the ball boy when he tried to take it from me. I still have that ball to this day.

When I was in HS we'd go to parties in Columbus with some of the various players from that era. Let's just say that Cris Carter never had to pay to get mellow.

After I got out of the 'Corps I hung out with a number of the guys from the mid to late 90's teams. I knew Matt & Luke through wrestling as well as Rex & Kevin (Randleman). A friend of mine lived next door to Joe Germaine. Once saw Eddie & Orlando in Morrill trying to get the elevator stuck by jumping up and down (they were not sober). Just typical stupid college kid stuff but having Pace involved made the proposition seem scarily possible.

As someone else mentioned players are pretty much the same as anyone else.

Don't know anyone personally after the 98 team but in 05 or so on I was back in town visiting a bar I used to work at in Dayton & got suckered into tending bar when some guys from the Dayton Warbirds came in. One of the hangers-on was trying to get free drinks  and said  "Don't you know who that is? That's Steve Bellisari, he played for Ohio State!". I was laughing so hard, I didn't have the heart to explain that Steve was probably the last guy who would get free drinks out of me by relying on his performance as a Buckeye.

Not Buckeye related by the Dayton Dragons used to hit the bar when I worked there...Austin Kearns is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet but Adam Dunn is a bit of a dick.

+4 HS
Floyd Stahl's picture

When I went to pick up my tickets for the 2003 Fiesta Bowl at Sun Devil Stadium the day before the game, I ran into Archie as he was walking out. He was gracious as always, and I got his autograph. I felt bad, though, as I was the first one to see him, and he was about to go undetected, but then afterwards a swarm of people came to get their picture taken with him. :)

During the recent OHSAA basketball championships, as I was leaving the big parking lot north of the Schott, I was redirected to leave via an alternate exit. This way took me by the WHAC, and I saw Chris Ash and Larry Johnson leaving the facility and walk out to their cars, and this was at 10:30pm!

Back in 1992 I was helping out at this big wrestling tournament at Worthington Kilbourne HS, which featured teams from all over the country. I was put in charge of taking tickets at one of the entrances. Luke Fickell can in with a DeSales coaching pass so he could get in for free. I could tell he was nervous as to whether I would let him in, and I clearly knew who he was, but I let him in anyways. I told the Kilbourne AD the story later, and she said she would have just let him in, too.

I also once ran into Grady Mateen at the Continent movie theater, and Mo Clarrett outside some stores in Morse Rd. during his freshman football season.

Also, my dad was a professor at Ohio State, and one time at the faculty club he sat across the table from Woody at lunch.

buckeye_heart's picture

I was walking to a party of one of the football players and myself and a friend were about 30 feet behind two very large people. One of them grabbed a handful of ass of the other guy, probably just joking around, but when he noticed that we were behind him he turned around and asked us what the f*ck we were looking at. Needless to say we about crapped our pants because it was Alex Boone who was the one grabbing the other guys butt and asking us what we were looking at. We both just looked at each other like what do we do and almost simultaneously said "nothing!"

Buckeye-in-DC's picture

i don't have any good stories to report, but just wanted to say man this is a great thread!!

+3 HS
Buckeye-in-DC's picture

i don't have any good stories to report, but just wanted to say man this is a great thread!!

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I've got some classic stories about a number of players, some I'm not gonna share but for starters:

It was the spring of 2006 and the WHAC was under construction so a lot of spring practices were held in the shoe. This caused a host of parking problems as you could imagine 100 or so players cars getting parked where ever they saw fit in and around the stadium blocking everyone...so we eventually ran parking control.

Towards the end of spring practice Tressel walks up to us one morning and starts asking us about parking cars, oblivious we just answer his questions frankly, start them here, move down the concourse, pull in the last guys here...

"The last guys huh? So this guy right here (points at a red impala driven by Troy Smith) was the last guy in for practice today?" 

"Ummm..." 

"Ok, thanks guys"

About 15 minutes later the team comes out for practice and Troy Smith walks over to me and two other guys standing there and goes,

"Y'all a bunch of rats, you know that! Y'all ratted me out to Tress!!"

Haha he was joking in a pissed off way I think, but would you lie to Tressel?

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
buckeyebowhunter's picture

Played the piano with Ken Johnson one night.  That's the best I have.

+3 HS

At a piano bar for tips?

faux_maestro's picture

They ran stories on the local news about Ken Johnson. He took piano lessons in the School of Music. I was an undergrad in the music program and I used to see him all the time.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+1 HS
Statutoryglory's picture

Saw EzE and Bosa hammered at Cane's.  Bosa was chowing on food.  EzE was off his rocker, could barely stand up, and was screaming "F**k the police." to the cop that was working security.  Maybe a week before spring ball opened up.  

-6 HS
thatlillefty's picture

you should probably wait a couple years to drop this one (them being current players and all).

+8 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture
+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Meh, I see football players at Midway all the time. Spoiler alert: Most of them are under 21.

It's not like the bars aren't going to let them in. They're great for business.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

BroJim's picture

That aint no good!

I season my simple food with hunger

sivaDavis's picture

Yeah and I party all the time with Archie Griffin and Jim Tressel. Let's keep the made up bullshit stories to ourselves. Especially when they are bad about our players.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

-3 HS
JakeBuckeye's picture

I don't think he has much reason to lie. I've heard many stories of Bosa being a big partier. He's known to go out on Thursdays even with 6:00 AM practices the next day, LOL. Obviously doesn't affect his playing ability.

+4 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I've talked to Bosa. Dudes into the same type of music I am and we both like to dabble in making EDM music. Yes he likes the parties but more of festival parties like Lolla, Coachella, Ultra. Music festivals. And I just don't see EzE drunk as hell screaming fuck the police... Sorry, just seems like a lot of B/S to me. If a story comes out or I see them around campus buttered as hell, then I'll eat my words. Until then, just can't believe it.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Ultra was something else, the whole Miami music week is something to enjoy, What genre of EDM are you dabbling in, do you know if Bosa has soundcloud?

sivaDavis's picture

Exactly. And being from Florida and the music scene down there, I'd love to be a "partier" too. And I do mostly trap and grime. And here's Joey's cloud.
http://m.soundcloud.com/joeyfla10

rWill22's picture

Being a student and around a lot of these guys, I didn't want to get involved with this thread. BUT, I can tell you that I've seen EzE out more than any other player... 

WesPatterson23's picture

Who do you think is the coolest dude on the team (outside of the football field of course)?

sivaDavis's picture

On the team currently, probably Mike Bennett. Real cool to talk to. Last year was Kenny, no doubt. Maybe Christian Bryant.

beamga's picture

I grew up playing against Josh Perry in both football and basketball so I would have some interaction with him after games.  He (and his dad too) are some of the nicest people I've met.

+1 HS
Statutoryglory's picture

Thank you. Vindication.  Guess I didn't "make this up" to be cool on the message boards.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

There's that E:60 documentary about baseball perfect games, and David Wells said that before his, he was out at an SNL cast party, and he walked into the ballpark the next day super hungover/still probably drunk and couldn't even throw the ball straight during his warmup.

Then he got it together and threw one of 23 perfect games in the history of baseball.

Some lucky bastards are capable of doing incredible things despite consuming borderline ridiculous amounts of alcohol shortly before.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Statutoryglory's picture

Also when I lived in Sacramento, met Clarett randomly at the hotel he was staying at while playing for Omaha after his coach saw me wearing a Buckeyes shirt and asked if I wanted to meet Mo.  Great dude.

TheBadOwl's picture

One of my old friends swiped me dinner at Sloopy's a few weeks back (perks of having friends still on-campus), and Clarett walked in, flanked by two huge dudes, wearing one of the nicest suits I've ever seen. Not sure why he was there but I got a bit starstruck.

Seattle Linga's picture

Talked to Diebler before shoot around one day

+1 HS
Bucks Forever's picture

Past summer I was going home from a girls dorm at some ungodly hour. As I go to leave the dorm, I let in two plastered freshman on this year's team. Keep in mind this was one week before the Buffalo game.

+1 HS
thatlillefty's picture

I sat next to Teddy Ginn's sister one game. I believe it was the '06 Minnesota game in which Jack Nicklaus dotted the I at half time. She was cool as hell. It was Teddy's junior year and I asked her if he would be going pro after the season. She smiled back and replied, "What do you think?"

Great thread, Jake.

+1 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

Saw Braxton at Mirror lake jump. wouldn't shake our hands after we wished him luck for the scum game. 

"dudes, your dirty."

Saw Kenny g a couple minutes after that and he was much more friendly!

+1 HS
Bradyhokescholesterol's picture

I used to manage the Golf Galaxy on Morse Road. Mike Connelly likes the game and used to come in pretty regularly during the offseason while finishing up his degree. He brought Greg Oden in with him one time and watching Greg Oden swing a golf club is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Andy Katzenmoyer used to come in, too. By far the girthiest human I've ever met. 

+3 HS
RBuck's picture

Pretty good. I once saw Oden  trying to get into an old beat up Honda Civic. Had to roll my window up so he wouldn't hear me laughing.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

I was once on a flight with Archie Griffin from Columbus to Las Vegas. He flew coach. When I landed my father took a picture.

It was funny to see how people reacted to him in Columbus (mobs of people) compared to Las Vegas where people asked me, "Who did you take a picture with, was he famous?

I season my simple food with hunger

route4buckeye's picture

Mine isn't very cool, but I saw Carlos Hyde in 2011 at a mall on Black Friday.

+1 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

Not many real interactions, just mostly shared classes. Me and Mike Lanese kept ending up in the same class. I wouldn't say I noticed right off he'd become a Rhodes Scholar, but he was definitely sharp and extremely confident. I was in a class with Tim Spencer -- it must have been the fall of '83, after his first season in the USFL. Some guy always wanted to talk football with him, but I think he wanted to do his best to blend in.

I got to know the basketball player Joe Concheck a little bit, because he was best friends with a casual friend of mine. Concheck is best remembered as possibly the only Buckeye athlete to be academically ineligible in two different seasons, although I guess they later discovered he had a learning disability of some kind. He eventually married way up. I hope for his sake it lasted.

Keith Byars lived a couple of floors above me when he was a freshman, so I'd see him on the elevator a lot. You couldn't believe he was both a freshman and a running back -- he looked like Hercules. 

I used to see Granville Waiters riding his bike on campus -- a 7-foot-tall man on a regulation-sized bicycle. It was quite a sight.

I was in a buffet line with Archie once, but I was afraid to say anything because I always figure these people never get a break. Maybe I'll get another shot someday. He was the closest thing I had to an idol when I was a kid.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I know this is the college site but i actually know and are friends with a few pro players.

+2 HS
hawkins.326's picture

Met AJ Hawk at a Dave Matthews Band concert at Germain in 2006. He was happy to take a picture with us, but Brady Quinn's sister was not happy with a bunch of drunk OSU fans bothering them.

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I played a few games of pool with Storm Klein when he was at my school for an All Star game seemed like a pretty cool kid, I pancaked John Simon a few times when I played against him in HS, In his defense I was a senior and he was a sophomore, I knew he was gonna be a special player because he was tough as nails. 

+2 HS
Bags5150's picture

I bartended and Managed a place called Sharkeys which was on 161 near Cleveland Ave. back in the early 90's.  Pete Johnson was a regular and i played pool with him in a pool leage that we held there.  Super nice guy and every time I run into him at something like a game or a signing somewhere he remembers me.

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I partied with Katzenmoyer once because he overheard us talking about our hometown and one of the guys on the team was from there. It was great until my buddy who was a Michigan fan (but went to OSU . . ., I know, weird) started giving him shit.

Ran into Alex Boone at the bar a couple of times after I had graduated but was on campus to hang with my little brother. All I can say is what a boonehead.

A kinda-sorta Katzenmoyer story...

We were at a party and the girl who Andy was dating at the time was going around bragging to everyone about how they were going to get married and they'd be rich because he'd be in the NFL. I really felt bad for him because he was so quiet. He just wanted to be a regular guy and here's this girl publicly planning trips to Monaco.

Buckeyeneer's picture

I shared this story once before but it is lost to the abyss since the website upgrade.
So my housemate worked as a janitor for OSU (circa 2002) and often cleaned the football lockerrooms as the team was coming back in after practice and that the guys had no problem walking around with their junk flopping everywhere. He said that he wasn't just staring but he said the timing was crappy a couple times where he had to scrub the floors on this hands and knees and any time he looked up to make sure he wasn't about to run into a wall he'd get a face full of someone's business. He was recalling this story as we were walking to Comfest with some friends and one of the girls asked the obvious follow-up question, "Who was biggest?"
Without missing a beat my buddy says, "Michael Jenkins. The guy was 8 inches. Flaccid."

+2 HS
RBuck's picture

Not much in a long while. But, in the 60's Ike Kelley and a couple of his buddies beat the living hell out of me after I told them to keep their hands off my girlfriend.

Sometime in the 80's I had a beer with Archie and Ray in a neighborhood bar.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+4 HS
gm3jones's picture

Wow, you got a beating? lol I give you mad props for that really. I have stood up for my wife plenty of time (dudes eye fucking her) and a few have led to physical confrontation. Good story man.

There is nothing more remarkable as learning to think better.

+1 HS
Bolt's picture

haha, nice. Brian Hartline punched my roommate in the ear when my roommate didn't take kindly to Hartline being rude to his sister. He hated Brian Hartline so bad after that. I mean who punches a guy in the ear??

+3 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Who throws a shoe? Really?

+1 HS
gm3jones's picture

Friends with JoeyGalloway and Mike Redd to this day. Have met quite a few other Buckeyes, many of which I cant seem to remember off top of my head. Lets see, my favorite meeting was with Coach Tressel and Troy Smith when they was coming into the WHAC when I had a job delivering coffee there. Was able to ask Tress and Troy a few questions because they caught me star struck looking at all the trophies and pictures hanging up. Asked Tress what is the hardest part about coaching a colllege team and he said the rules you have to follow would probably his number one. Also asked if he could describe football in one word what would it be (he said together). Asked Troy what he enjoyed most about being a Buckeye. He said people like me (fanatics lol). He said it pushes him to get better.

Met AC, Scoonie Penn, AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter (like three times), and MIke Doss. I know there are more I am forgetting but that is about all I can remember.

+1 HS
gm3jones's picture

Sorry, double post.

Bolt's picture

My college roommate for at least a couple years was on the football team. I had lots of interactions with the football players from that timeframe when I was in school...Including many Alex Boone stories which are typically the best. The dude was a wildman in college. I lived next door to a couple offensive linemen and Tyler Moeller and my roommate during my 2nd junior year was a walkon linebacker. We lived up at Olentangy Commons and Boone used to be around a lot causing a ruckus.

Met Greg Oden at the old Miani's bar in '06 and he was hitting on my friend all night. He told me I was the only person allowed to get my picture with him 'cause "I'm lucky my friend is so hot." Was also hanging around Terence Dials and JJ Sullinger that night. My friend got separated from me at some point in the night and JJ started running around screaming my name swinging his shirt over his head. Later when we were walking home, she got a call with a voicemail saying "Hey, this is Greg...the large African American fella from the bar tonight. Trying to see where the after party is." I kept yelling at her to tell him to come over but she thought he was ugly and wasn't interested. She never called him back. 

Met Eddie George at NACC and accidently insulted him. Something I still can't shake from my conscience to this day. He was just out of football and the Browns were between coaches and I tried to joke, something like "hey ya know the Browns need a coach up in Cleveland right now!" Which insinuated that he couldn't play anymore...even though he was still trying to. That man had the largest, softest hand I've ever shook. Very friendly.

Met Mike Redd at a Chipotle the day after I graduated from OSU in '09. He was coming off a season ending injury. He was in line behind me. While in line I told him I'm a big fan and a fellow Buckeye having just graduated the day before. I told him good luck and stay healthy next year and he said thanks. I paid and went over to the condiments/soda table and after he finished paying he came out of his way to seek me out to tell me congratulations on my graduation and good luck with my future. One genuinely awesome dude.

Some others, like meeting Dee Miller at a charity function for the Arnold (got to meet and greet with the Governator and Dee Miller at the same time while waiting for the event to start in the lobby) and accidently mixed up his name with Demetrious Stanley. Figured it out after he was showing me his Sugar Bowl ring and I apologized profusely. Bunch of other run ins but not very interesting stories. If you live on campus, you're likely to have run ins.

BDobina's picture

THE FOLLOWING STORY WAS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE

When I was in high school one of my best friends was being recruited by OSU and I went with him on his unofficial to the OSU vs. TTUN (1 vs 2 in 2006). We met just about every great you could imagine. Spent a long time with Mike Doss because our coach coached him while he was at McKinley. This is while he was still with the Colts but was injured. He was in a full blown 3 piece suit topped off with a fedora with a feather in it. Being from Canton we talked to everyone from around there (Dustin Fox, I think Mike Hartline was there with us to watch his brother Brian but im not positive, Peterson etc.) Also we went to high school with Barton so we talked to him for awhile as well.

Walked with the team to and from skull session. Got to meet Tressel and was on the field for pregame warm ups right behind Teddy and Troy. When we ate lunch at our table sat CC, Eddie and Terry Robiske. After the game we went back up to the locker room and ran into a few more greats. Topped it off by taking a picture with Jeter and we made him take of his ugly _ichigan baseball hat he was wearing and put on a Buckeye hat.

Best part of the whole day was beating TTUN in probably one of the best rivalry games I can remember in recent history.

Go Bucks!

+7 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Wow that's priceless BDobina...

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Knarcisi's picture

Drunk as hell upstairs at one of the bars on the east side of South High that's not there any more, we saw Robert Smith. It's after he left the team after his freshman year before coming back.  There were rumors he was going elsewhere. I asked him if he was going to Stanford. He was annoyed. 

Knarcisi's picture

I also called a technical foul on Rob Kelly while officiating an intramural basketball game. He kept hooking guys with his off arm around the rim and I called him for it. He was cocky, and bitching about is, so I T'd him up. 

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Galloway blew by me in a Jr High basketball scrimmage vs. Bellaire. 

Knarcisi's picture

I dated Jason Simmons' ex for a while. She was of age. 

Knarcisi's picture

Robert (Bob) Butts was my grade school principal. He played in the 60s for Woody. 

Knarcisi's picture

My best friend lives in FL and is buddies with Bob Brudzinski. 

Knarcisi's picture

I worked for the county in the summer after my sophomore year in college. Al Hornyak worked there and was our buddy. 

southbymidwest's picture

Eons ago, I had a marketing class with Tom Cousineau (when he showed up to class that is). The main grade in the class was a quarter-long group marketing/advertising project, so it kind of sucked for his group. He had a certain confidence and charisma about him-no wonder he was a team captain. He had swagger for sure. 

Had a friend who was on the team, back when you could have 105 guys on the team-he was way, way down the depth chart. During the fateful 1978 season, he had remarked a few times that Woody was a bit detached from the team that year, his assistant coaches really ran the team, and that he had some temper flashes that my friend had not seen the previous year. That was the year that Woody punched the Clemson player in the bowl game. Later, we found out that he had not been feeling well that year, and that his diabetes had really been causing him problems-as was evident by his actions.

+1 HS
southbymidwest's picture

In my first big girl job after college, I worked with a guy who played high school football with Calvin Murray, they were good friends. Calvin told him that when Art Schlichter came in as a freshman QB, he pissed the offensive line off so much that they intentionally let him get sacked a few times during the season opener against Penn State. They wanted to send a clear message to him that he needed to play nice with his o-line, or else.  Let's just say they had a brutal week of practice after that game, as Woody and the assistant coaches figured out what they had done, and were none too happy about it. It was worth it to the players. BTW, Art learned his lesson.

More about Art-friend from home lived on the same dorm floor as he did (Park/Stradley, that's where most of the freshman football players lived at that time). He was not well liked on the hall as he came across as a bit of a jerk. She felt kind of sorry for him-she didn't think he was a very happy or well-adjusted guy. He had tremendous pressures on him as the starting QB as a true freshman, and he had a real stage mother kind of dad. Dad would threaten Woody that he would make his son transfer if Woody didn't run an offense that was more suited to Art's talents, that kind of stuff. Can you imagine your parent threatening Woody back in the 70's? Yeahhh. His dad was the prototype for the term "helicopter parent".

jeremytwoface's picture

When I was at the Gold Pants Social last year, I got some blocking advice from Jim Lachey. He told a story (I was a little intoxicated so I don't remember it well) about how Ohio State brought in some military people to teach them hand to hand combat... and how that helped him become a better blocker. I think he was a little drunk too actually.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Buckataltitude's picture

I have nothing cool about me. But, my uncle served with Woody Hayes in WWII.

+1 HS