College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Could Tressel win a NC in today's college football?

+3 HS
zhamilton05's picture
August 8, 2016 at 3:20pm
208 Comments

We all know the Vest was a great coach in his time at tOSU, winning the 2002 National Championship in a big upset over the 'Canes. And he led the Buckeyes to two other BCS championship games but fell short against Florida and LSU. An all-time great, no doubt...but would Tressel be able to lead another team to the promised land--say, in 2017-2021?

With the show-cause expired, any college program is free to hire one James Tressel to be their head football coach. For the purposes of my query, say that a national power with lots of tradition and lots of money has an open head coaching job this next offseason. It's not hard to see Texas axing Charlie Strong after another 7-5 season...or LSU finally parting ways with the Mad Hatter if he geauxs 9-3 again...or even Penn State getting antsy as James Franklin still can't deliver a signature win.

And what if one of those blue-bloods decides against rolling the dice on an up-&-comer and instead brings in 65-year-old Tressel for four or five years to try and bring the talent together into a contender? Do you think his style would work today? 

I can see why a Texas or PSU or LSU would think that the Vest could rally their program back to being a championship contender. But my concern--more than just his age--would be that Tressel no longer is able to relate to the elite recruits who are necessary to win the playoff. Does a high-risk, high-reward player like Terrelle Pryor still view Tressel as a trustworthy father figure, or as a dusty relic with a shady past? Thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 208 Comments