College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Tomorrow is international Bacon Day, as well as some other significant sporting event.

Boxley's picture
August 29, 2014 at 11:40am
15 Comments

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/08/29/international-bacon-day-is-foo...

Linked above is a pretty darn good sampling of some very good bacon recipes. Since tomorrow is International Bacon Day, I thought I would share this with our 11W fellow bacon lovers. I did not find the bacon rum recipe that I beleive is one of the 11w"s staff writers favorite rum drinks, but these are pretty good on their own.

From sandwiches to desserts, to jams and drinks. The many wonderful recipes for bacon make this item a favorite all over the world. Last year one of or 11W brave souls posted the one pound bacon sandwich, however they never stated outright that they had eaten it.

I would like to hear from my other 11W comrades some their favorite bacon recipes and/or pre-game food favorites.

So as you prepare to watch the pigskin being kicked and hurled all over the field tomorrow, Take the time to enjoy some of that same hogs, namsakes lovely cripsed, delectable treats as part of your pre-game preparation.

Bacon Jam, really, I have to get some of that. Go Bucks!

Squirrel Master's picture

One of the staff might have issue with this post.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

chicagobuckeye's picture

Because of the link to Fox News? The article is not political in nature if that's what you're worried about. 

Squirrel Master's picture

One of the writers for this site doesn't like Bacon. How did nobody get that, its quite known!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

MordenoftheSith's picture

I hate older links that give the red x....  had to delete the image :(

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

KBonay's picture

Chocolate covered bacon. Trust me. Huge hit at parties. Use dark chocolate for best taste. 

I bake the bacon (way better than frying-less mess too). Melt chocolate (I use chips-melt faster). Coat bacon and sprinkle sea salt. Put in freezer until ready to serve. 

+2 HS
NW Buckeye's picture

Clicked on this post just to suggest chocolate covered bacon!  You beat me to it.  It is a Thanksgiving tradition at our house. 

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Bacon does deserve its own day.

+2 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture
Push the left one, receive it from the right?

If only?

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+2 HS
Young_Turk's picture

Well, in honor of both events, I'll post a recipe for Roast (Bill the ) Goat with Bacon. 

Leg of Capretto, PORTUGUESE Style

1 Leg of capretto, about 1.5kg
Wine vinegar
3 large Garlic cloves - peeled
1 Bay leaf - crumbled
1 tablespoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper
60g pancetta – chopped *
3 tablespoons Olive oil
Portuguese-style rice
* I used middle rasher bacon
Wipe meat with vinegar and - wipe dry.
In a food processor, combine garlic, bay leaf, paprika, salt, pepper, pancetta and oil. Process to a paste and spread all over capretto. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 or 3 hours.
Roast in a preheated 1900C oven about 1 hour, turning meat after 30 minutes. (Capretto is best roasted to the medium stage.) Transfer to platter and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with rice.**

**I put 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil in the bottom of the roasting pan and added potato and sweet potato to roast. Whilst the roast was resting I made gravy with the drippings of paste from the roast. This was a very rich gravy. Next time I will try adding sour cream instead of brown gravy powder and serve as a side sauce – the Capretto didn’t really need gravy but I would like to try the combination of sour cream with the paprika. If anyone tries this out please let me know how it went.

Onionballz's picture
I'm with Ron on this one.

Yeah Baby! - KK

+1 HS
BuckeyeSouth's picture

My bacon will be wrapped around jalapeno poppers.  I grew the jalapenos just for this occasion and I can't wait.  Mmmmm, bacon.

Embrace it.

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

Seattle Linga's picture

Great there goes the Diet?