College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Saban Says B1G is "Really Good" and Tells a Woody Story

703Buckeye's picture
April 30, 2014 at 11:34pm
6 Comments

Saban was speaking at a fundraiser in Cincinnati and was asked about how long it would take for the B1G to catch the SEC. Bottom line from Saban was recruiting... go hard and go nationally. He cited demographic shifts from the midwest toward the southeast. I think he said some very logical things we can all agree with.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/04/alabama_coach_nick_saban_i_thi.html#incart_river_default

Nicky Boy also told a Woody story. The video can be found in the article linked below. Alabama and LSU... thank Woody for your championships under Saban, you're welcome.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/04/alabama_coach_nick_saban_spoke.html

hit_the_couch's picture

Did he mention how he got fired for having one of the worst secondaries in tOSU history? I wonder if Withers will now go on to be a successful coach.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

SilverBullet-98's picture

Saban knows there is more recruiting, local enthusiasm and less NFL in the SEC.

People in Ohio should understand more than anybody, "it's football...spiked with a acute sense of identity".

PSU and OHIO ST are the only 2 schools in the B1G similar to a SEC team in culture.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

prefer B1G football…maybe not the quality over nearly a decade…but you can't beat fall saturdays with chances of snow during late parts of the season. There is a sense that B1G is 'classier' football (if there is such a thing) compared to the SEC where they would sell their first born for a win.

+5 HS
osubuck57's picture

Saban giving the BIG credence?? We are all going to hell now!! Joking!! He's just saying what all the analysts have been saying when we hired Urban and PSU hired Franklin. National Recruiting is the ticket, if you want to win the crystal!! Anderson at Wisky, is catching on too. That team up north has had some success when they're not trying to hoard Ohio as well. Hope the rest of the BIG takes note.

SCOTTC.

jeremytwoface's picture

I refuse to believe that Saban is a stand up guy who speaks logically.

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

Ahh Saturday's picture

http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/sec/big10.shtml

The last time the Big 10 won a decade of match ups against the SEC was the 1970's.  The SEC dominated the 80's like Bill Cosby in a hair metal band, 17-5.  What followed were 20 years of ridiculously even match ups with the SEC winning the 90's 16-11 with an average score of 25.1-24.8, and winning the 00's 18-15 with an average score of 25.9-24.6.  However, if the early results of the 10's indicate a trend, it is not a good one for the B1G.  So far the SEC leads the B1G in this decade 13-6 with an average score of 31-21.  Still, I think the B1G is trending up with the Buckeyes, Spartans, Wiscy, Nebraska, and PSU all pointed in the right direction.  If Michigan can figure out how to get a real coach up there, they could probably be competitive as well.