Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2022 Tailgate Fare - Army-Navy Game Edition

+15 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
December 9, 2022 at 12:52pm
27 Comments

Good Afternoon Dubbers! First, of all, let me get this out of the way:

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

OK, now I feel better.  

Welcome to one of the most interesting weeks of college football.  After the fanfare of the season, we have one game to highlight some of the things we love in our country, and we get to see a great deal of selflessness in some outstanding amateur athletes.

In a contest steeped in tradition and awards, we get to see Army and Navy square off in Philadelphia on a day dedicated to them. For one weekend, a football game will be more about the people who are actually playing for the love of the game instead of trying to increase their NFL draft stock and their stories, rather than everything else that is wrong or right with college football.

This game provides future members of our military one final chance to showcase their skills and compete against one another for bragging rights before they go on to much bigger and better things outside of football. This game is BIG DEAL. In fact, it has its own website for God's sake!

It is truly a magnificent tradition, unless of course you're an Air Force veteran.  But, let's face it, if you're in the military or a vet, we all know that being in the Air Force is barely being in the military.  I mean...

Besides, Air Force already clinched the coolest rivalry trophy of them all - The Commander in Chief Trophy.

But, I digress.  This week is all about Army and Navy.  It's all about the Corps of Cadets and the semen Seamen from Annapolis.  And, as such, I thought it would be appropriate to introduce you to the most Army and Navy foods ever.

Starting with the Army, I present to you a standard meal that you will eat so many times in dining facilities around the world that you will go from liking it, to hating it, to being indifferent towards it, to being nostalgic for it, all in the course of an enlistment or career.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your dining pleasure, I present to you the number one rated Meal Ready to Eat (MRE) of all-time: Chili Mac (which you can totally buy on Amazon, if you want the authentic dining experience).  Just don't shower for three days and go sit under a tree in the rain when you eat it, it'll be just like the real thing.

Chili Mac

Now, as for the Navy?  Having been a member of the camping club and not the canoe club, I'm not sure exactly what they eat.  But, I do know what Marines prefer though...

When I think of the most stereotypical meal I've ever heard of from the Navy, I always think of one thing.  So, I checked with some Navy veteran coworkers and they starting talking about anorexic chicken.  I had no idea what they meant, so they explained it was the chicken they served on aircraft carriers with white rice and no meat.  They always wondered where the Navy found chickens with no meat on their bones and figured they got a bulk discount on the anorexic chickens.

But, alas I had to settle on a recipe to share, and it all came down to S.O.S. - Shit on a Shingle.  It's a tasty, or tasteless, treat that a couple of my fellow Mods have probably enjoyed in different hemispheres, so I'll defer to them.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, I present to you: 

Shit on a Shingle

I hope everyone enjoys Army-Navy and has a great weekend!

Pro Tips

• Join the Air Force

Go Bucks!

Previous versions of TGF
11W Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments