Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Apologies to 11Wers

0 HS
Gametime's picture
November 14, 2014 at 12:17pm
9 Comments

I wanted to apologize to ANY 11Wers who took my comments to be offensive to their sensibilities regarding the rape case in Steubenville. I don't think I was taken in fair context, but I wanted to post this from fellow 11Wer BuckeyeTilIDie who summed up the whole of my posts in the forum topic with his brilliant post: "While I agree that this young man's acts were egregious, and I absolutely do not wish his actions upon any human being-- the young man has paid his debt to society. He was found guilty, sentenced for his crime, and reintegrated back in to society. Far too often, especially in the justice system, we allow one person's past mistakes to define who they are for the rest of their life. There has to come a point where we, as a society, are willing to allow the rehabilitative system to work. I do not feel sorry for the young man-- not one bit; what he took part in was terrible, and to me that's not debatable. What is however, is the fact that the young man was found guilty, served his time, is probably still on parole, and has (at least by my understanding) kept his nose clean-- yet he is still being drug through the mud. Should he be forgiven? That's a call his victim should make, not us. This is a football award that we are talking about-- not a citizenship award; not an award for his positive contributions to the community; but a individual football award. Why shouldn't the writers focus on his "on field" accomplishments? Again, while I do not agree with/condone his criminal actions-- I am happy for him that he has been able to reintegrate back into society and take advantage of the opportunity to play football again-- and at a high level. This is a (rare) case of our rehabilitation system working. He wasn't in "detention." It was prison-- DYS is a juvenile prison, and there aren't a ton of success stories that come out of any prison-- this just happens to be one. I'm happy to hear that Mr. Richmond has been able learn from his terrible mistakes and make the most of (so far) the 2nd chance that has been granted to him." That said, I do have an 8 year old daughter and I do believe it's extremely important to protect our girls by educating them to protect themselves, because there are kids out here who try to act beyond their age or wisdom who will do stupid things like this and deranged individuals who can and will do worse. So as a father of a blossoming girl I do objectively look at it as if it was my daughter in that situation, that would mean I failed her as a father. That would mean she thought what she was doing was safe or okay or perhaps she was rebellious. I'm merely looking at every angle, I digress though, I only wish for peace with my fellows on 11Wers. Luv you guys (even you too Scarlet)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments