Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Have a question not related to football

airbuckeye's picture
August 28, 2014 at 12:50pm
9 Comments

Ok Dubber's i have a question i'm hoping someone can help me with here with a laptop. I baught my girlfriend a new laptop about 6 maybe 7 months ago because she wanted a new one.

Let her pick it out which was a hugh mistake on my part LOL because she picked out the most expensive one Dell had but oh well she is worth it i guess just kidding. My problem is not with that laptop it's the old one she had.

We want to give that one to my Niece and her 6 kids so they have some type of computer instead of an old shitty cell phone to get on line with. Being i know VERY little about computers is it that hard to reformate one?

I would like to reformate it before i go into Columbus later next month and drop it off to her in London on my way in as a suprise to her in the kids. But need to make sure it's clean and ready to go for them. So any help here would be greatly appreciated because the only other choice i would have is to drop it off to my computer guy in Groveport to have that work done and repick it up when i go Columbus again a few months later.

Plus it would save me some money right now and at the moment im in a little bit of a bind money wise . Thats why im hoping like hell my VA gets worked out soon so i start getting the money i should have gotten a long time ago.

Again Thanks in Advance for help anyone can give me and wanted to also give a big shout out to Ramsy for that great write up on the Neutron Man the other day as it brought a tear to my eye's. Great work Ramsy but any thing written by you always seem's to come from the heart.

jeremytwoface's picture

EDIT: Ah crap... It's not working.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

InTressITrust's picture

I am assuming you want some kind of windows on your device. Do you have a CD or I so file with a valid security key?

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

Killer nuts's picture

Never stop being you, airbuckeye

+3 HS
Hitman61's picture

Just rebuilt an older Dell Dimension 3100 desktop. Installed a new HD with Windows 8.1. Was a simple 90 minutes to install drive, O.S., Microsoft office and misc drivers. No issues so far. It's been up and running for about 2 weeks

LebBuckeye

Bugsyk's picture

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/Art...

Are basic steps to reset a Dell to what it was when you bought it, if it gives you an idea of difficulty.

airbuckeye's picture

Yea it's an old Dell but she not sure if it will let me put the New Window's in that came with her new Dell put i guess it would be worth trying but what about the driver's. She just told me that her drivers do not work right with the new one  but she still can get online though.

So looks like im taking her new one in and having my computer guy install them for her . Oh well just my luck i guess nothing seems to go the way i hope it to LOL. But Thanks again's Looks like ill have to wait till Christmas to give to them and they will have to wait till next year to watch OSU game"s on line.

Thats one of the reason i even got my cable was to let her watch the games on BTN using my account and then found out she could'nt watch them on her phone. Ill get her there some how before all is said and done because im that damn stuburn LOL. But just wanted give all a BIG THANK YOU.

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

If you contact Dell and give them the service tag on the machine they should be able to send you a baseline software and image disk.  Sometimes it will cost if it's not still under warranty though.

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

If you have the Windows CD you can just reformat using that and it would be clean.  Sometimes your previous C: drive contents will remain on the computer if it's not completely reformatted.

Have you looked into just getting a cheap netbook or something from WalMart or BestBuy?

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

It's as simple as finding the Windows CD that the laptop came with, popping it in, and reinstalling Windows.  You'll have an option to reformat there.  If you want to install a newer Windows than what the computer came with, you'll want to check the computer's specs (processor, RAM, hard drive space, etc) to make sure that the laptop can handle it.

Class of 2010.