Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

I'm Taking The Plunge.....

One Bad Buckeye's picture
August 25, 2014 at 8:34am
25 Comments

....into canceling our cable.  

My wife and I are pretty fed up with all the cable companies and the only reason we've kept cable anyways is for the BTN to watch the Buckeyes.  We really don't watch that much TV that we can't get on xbox live or through, ahem, other means.  

I'm hoping there's a way to stream the games on BTN, but if not I can just go to Studio 35 or wherever to watch those games.  

I assume I'd get the games that are broadcast on ABC and CBS and that I can stream the games that are on ESPN through Roku or Apple TV or wherever.  

Any of my fellow E'Dubbers doing something similar?  Any advice for a Buckeye fan going full retard and relying on catching the games primarily via streaming? 

Any help/advice is much appreciated.  

703Buckeye's picture

I'm lucky that Verizon has their fios service where I live. It is so much better than any other cable companies I have encountered.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

flying-banana's picture

Agree 100% of the providers I've used fios and uverse are the two best in terms of overall quality. I have uverse now and I call them up on the first of the month every month and say I'm switching to fios so they keep lowering my bill. I currently pay $65 total for their fastest Internet, all cable with movie channels and the B1G network. I'm pretty happy with the deal.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Fios is the number two reason (behind the commute) why I want to leave central Maryland. Have had to endure Xfiniti/Comcast hell for years, just now (beginning Wednesday) getting the BTN as part of our regular cable package.

Verizon won't bring Fios our way due to lack of demand, which is another way of saying folks over here prefer their dishes.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

For as much as I like working at UMD, I never want to live in the state of Maryland... Tax rates are high and it forever seems to be a step behind Virginia, except for the universities wise decision to join the B1G.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
apack614's picture

That is crazy, I live in Quantico and the only thing we are able to get is Fios. What a difference 25 miles can do...

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

rosycheeks's picture

Here's the best advice I can give you: Find a friend that has cable and ask him to share his login, perhaps chip in a few bucks toward his bill if necessary. I ditched cable going on 3 years ago, and it's been a wise decision for financial reasons and otherwise, but having a couple cable logins allows me to get BTN streams that are better quality than what I can find elsewhere.

Otherwise, here are some options: http://www.thefirstrow.eu/, http://xrxs.net/, http://www.vipbox.eu/. I haven't used any of those lately but they worked last I tried.

+6 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I've had a pretty good experience with DirectTV.  Although the cost alone is enough to always have my wheels turning about getting off the cable grid.

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Here's a question for the masses: I have a login for Time Warner and for Comcast. Anyone know if either of those will get me a stream of the Navy game this Saturday?

chicagobuckeye's picture

Same for comcast. If I can that would be greatly appreciated. 

jeremytwoface's picture

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think that CBS Sports has streaming.... So you might be out of luck.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Bugsyk's picture

Plex has a CBS sports channel,

Seattle Linga's picture

I have Comcast/Xfinity and I would check with your provider if you can buy the sports package on Friday and call them on Saturday after the game and tell them you wanted to cancel - Most of the time - you have a 24-48 window. When I ordered the B1G Network I asked and they said I can cancel anytime but I also had 48 hours without any charges if I wasn't happy. 

braneli's picture

First Row Sports (previously mentioned) is the only 'underground' method I know. It helped me stay live with the games, even when on tour in Europe. :-)

Props for the cancel, I had chosen the same path earlier this year.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

JTbuckeye2436's picture

I use First Row Sports for PPVs. I have been using it for years. It works pretty good there is just a TON of popups so be careful what and where you click,

braneli's picture

Truth. The popups are ungodly at best.

"You are confined only by the walls you build yourself."

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+2 HS
J.Mo's picture

I have an AppleTV and Chromecast. AppleTV is great for WatchESPN but sometimes Airplay is a little buggy which is why I open BTN in Chrome and stream it to Chromecast. Sometimes that crashes but doesn't lag like Airplay sometimes does.

Seattle Linga's picture

I believe you have to have a subscription to BTN to stream the games live.  

JTbuckeye2436's picture

You can also download an app called Show Box for Android. You can stream Shows and movies with it for free. You can stream them to your Chromecast if you have one.

http://media-apps.cc/android/

Montana silver bullet's picture

We suspend our service for six months of the year(non football season).  Hung it on the wall and started our service yesterday, In Feb. after the Superbowl it will come back down. Direct TV lets you do this and we have for three years now.  Amazing to me how much time some people spend in front of the tube--

Montana Silver Bullet

+3 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture

Congrats on canceling the Cable, it's amazing how much is available by simply having the internet and over the air TV.  I was going to say the same thing about talking to a friend or family member to see if you could get their cable login to stream watchespn and BTN, what's the worst that could happen to them, you pay their bill? 

Sports are the only thing I miss about cable at all.  We canceled our cable back in April, we rarely watched TV now that we have two kids 3 and under.  Everything they want to watch is available on Youtube / amazon prime / netflix.  This also gives me a good excuse to get out and head to BW3's or Willies when there is a good game on TV. 

+1 HS
Denny's picture

I did this a few years ago, but will be restoring my cable service for football/NBA season this year. Got by with AppleTV and the Watch ESPN app.

Taquitos.

DJ Byrnes's picture

heard that denny. cable is getting the axe as soon as the cavs' season ends.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

KBonay's picture

I'm just afraid of what might happen if I do cancel. 

+2 HS
BigZ's picture

Have to be careful and be ok with not watching games at home. I know last season I was at a wedding during the Wisconsin night game and couldnt stream it anywhere and had to basically watch it on goaline. ESPN doesnt stream some of the abc night games for some reason.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯