Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Self Serve Beer?

YTOWNBUCKI's picture
July 7, 2014 at 1:01pm
29 Comments

It's 2014 folks and at Target Field you can pour your own beer.  Apparently it's 38-40 cents per ounce which is a huge savings compared to the 10 dollar 16 ounce beer I've grown accustomed to at Nationals games.

The machine allows a customer to use the card to pour up to 48 ounces of beer every 15 minutes.

Uhm, that's a lot.

Article here.

Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

To Alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems!

-Homer J. Simpson

MN Buckeye's picture

I don't need to go downtown to Target Field to self-serve beer.

But I think that is a nice option for fans.

cinserious's picture

Uhm, that's a lot.

c

Gone ham, be back soon...

+4 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I know this is off topic of an off the wall topic, but in that interview Jennifer Lawrence never said Miley told her to get it together, she just looked at her funny.

OSUStu's picture

My thoughts as well.

"Your machine over-served me.  I should have been cut-off hours ago."

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

Thinking they could add a math quiz for patrons to solve before being served. Would that encourage students to pay more attention in math class? The more beer you drink, the harder the questions will get.

Squirrel Master's picture

I doubt it will make students (or the non-students) pay more attention to math, but it sure would make the math club more popular! You will see hotties dating nerds more often!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

DaytonBuck1980's picture

The full article states that an attendant will be at the station to double check IDs and to cut people off

Still not giving a damn for the whole state of Michigan. 

I'm surprised there isn't a breathalyzer attached to that thing, although people wouldn't do it because there would be icky germs on the breathalyzer.

If you blow anything above a .20 you are denied sale. (.08 is barely a beer or two so no way could that be acceptable)

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture
+2 HS

to regular drinkers, .20 is not that far gone. Maybe to a light weight. Maybe .15 would be a better indicator but .20 is not "half way dead".

8. BAC = .18-.25 = Drinkers are disoriented, confused, dizzy, and have exaggerated emotional states. Vision is disturbed, as is perception of color, form, motion, and dimensions.

Drinkers have increased pain threshold and lack of muscular coordination. Drinkers stagger or lose the ability to walk and have slurred speech. Apathy and lethargy are typical.

7-8 drinks in an hour. hammered, but not falling down puking for a decent drinker. but yes, .15 would probably be enough too. but if you cut people off at .10, there will be riots!

+1 HS

http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html

http://www.lifeloc.com/measurement.aspx

The second reference provided says that few people can tolerate BAC over 0.45. Most references will generally say that death and coma become real possibilities at BAC=0.4.  

I know the levels. Just because .40 is death doesn't mean someone at .20 is actually "half dead". come on.

so you are telling me you haven't met anyone who could normally drink 2 fingers of bourbon, 3 glasses in an hour? I've known some who can almost downright look normal drinking that much.

All I am saying is you make the limit too minimum, people will not be happy. Again, perhaps .15 would be a better number (basically a full glass of hard liquor) but I bet you still get a bunch of pissed off folks who think that is too weak. Don't want hammered fans at a ballgame but it could easily go the other way too.

+1 HS

Perhaps if I said 0.2 is half way to dead it would be better worded for what I meant.  If we take the math suggestions from above and set up a proportion: (0.4/Death) = (0.2/"X").  "X" = 0.5Death.  So BAC = 0.2 is quite literally what I was saying.

You are implying something completely different.  We all know people (or are those people) who can drink it up and not show much.  However, some people are more tolerant of alcohol, not because of their BAC levels, but because their bodies are both genetically and acutely prepped to handle alcohol.  A BAC of 0.2 is 0.2 in everyone and the effects will be pretty similar in everyone (its more true at higher BAC and 0.2 is getting into the high regions).  However, 2 fingers of bourbon, 3 glasses in an hour can yield different BAC in different people depending on genetics, body size and type and liver enzymes.

To your final point, I completely agree about the "too minimum" thing, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that drinking alcohol is still a privilege and not a right in these cases.  I see it as another case of something that allows 99.9% of the population to enjoy the increase freedom and price savings, but where the 0.1% will ruin it for everyone.  And that's why you can't get a beer in the fourth quarter of NFL games.

FloridaBuck's picture

That. Is. Awesome.

Gray Box's picture

Georgia Blue - Self Serve Beer Walls and Tables:

Earle's picture

The beer may be cheap(er), but the multi-purpose bucket will cost you an arm and a leg.

+1 HS
mshaf's picture

Does the Grown and Sexy Lounge offer a self pour anything like this ?

+2 HS

probably not like this, but they might have a narcotics dispenser in the men's room.

BierStube's picture
One beer every 15 minutes .. sheesh

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well played Bier - I love this guys passion for a cold one.

UFest57's picture

Taken from the comments in the article...

48 ounces per ever 15 minutes
192 ounces per hour
3 hour All Star game = 576 ounces
576 ounces = 48 12oz beers
48 12oz beers @ 40 cents per ounce = $230

...that's $4.79/beer...long live watching sports from my couch 

+4 HS
Gametime's picture

Proving that beer and math CAN co-exist.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+2 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture

That is still incredibly cheap for a beer at a ballpark.  Hell, it's about on par with a cheap beer in Chicago.

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

Gray Box's picture
hit_the_couch's picture

I'd sneak my own in at those prices. I haven't been to a baseball game in a long time, so I hope they don't give pat downs before entering stadiums.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!