Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Man Moves Paralyzed Hand With His Own Thoughts

Gray Box's picture
June 24, 2014 at 11:29pm
9 Comments

A man in Ohio has become the first patient ever to move his paralyzed hand by using his thoughts. In a small, crowded laboratory at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 23-year old Ian Burkhart looked closely at his hand, squinted with concentration and made a fist as doctors, neuroscientists and engineers from Battelle, and Ian's family gasped.

"I never dreamed I would ever be able to do that again," said Burkhart, who was injured in a 2010 diving accident.

Buckeye Knight's picture

Congrats to Ian and Go Bucks!

Sauce Bauss's picture

I went to high school with Ian. Glad to see he's gradually getting his mobility back!

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

This is kind of mind blowing. No pun intended (maybe a little bit), but seriously it is. I never thought something like this would be possible. Amazing!

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

But for Ohio State.....

Hooray for medical devices! 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

+2 HS
ITWASME's picture

Why did I think you meant he used telekinesis to move his hand?

Tater_Schroeder's picture

This may not appear be a "miracle" in the Biblical sense of the word, but I consider it as such. The miracle here is the exceptional combination of the doctors' education and ambition to do such work, a facility to accomplish it in, and the generosity of donors to fund the work. This is wonderful stuff no matter where it occurs, but especially special to all Buckeyes to say this innovation happens at home.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

The look on his face was priceless. That's amazing stuff!

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Very powerful moment. Things are getting really intense now in the medical field with the ability to tap into brainwaves. Watched a show on the science channel the other day and they had a guy walking with mechanical legs that were tapped into his thoughts. They also had some researcher who discovered using pig bladders into some type of spray that regenerated lost or cutoff body parts. Space age.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.