Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Ohio State Fair listed as one of the best state fairs in the country.....

jeremytwoface's picture
June 6, 2014 at 1:45pm
24 Comments

According to a Yahoo Travel article, THE Ohio State Fair is one of the best in the country... And I couldn't agree more (even though I've never been to any other state fair).

Reading through the article, I found this....

Best Thing To Stuff Your Face With: Sloppy Donuts, a doughnut sandwich topped with BBQ pork, deep-fried pickle chips, bacon and cheese;

Um... What???

Why have I not had one of these before?????? 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I haven't been to the fair in 10 or 11 years. I lost interest in it after I turned 20.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I've seen the Doughnut Burger...but never that.  That actually sounds better than the burger...definitely going to have to look for that this year.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
AndyVance's picture

Our state fair is indeed the greatest state fair in the country. So much to see and do, and such great agricultural representation in the various exhibit halls and barns. One of the highlights of summer, for sure.

+3 HS
buckskin's picture

The Ohio state fair is one of the best, though I haven't been for a couple of years.  Many interesting vendors, rides, strong agricultural tradition including the famous livestock sale, national level tractor pulling competition, and extremely competitive motocross championships.  Also, the price of $5 was a bargain, though I think they have since raised the price.  Looking forward to taking my young family this summer for the first time.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Oh and also, the bands playing this year are pretty damn good....

Boyz II Men
Lady Antebellum
Bachman & Turner, Blue Oyster Cult and Foghat
Beach Boys and America
Heart and Joan Jett
Aretha Franklin

They always seem to get some good acts to come play.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+2 HS
jmacaulay17's picture

Scotty McCreery will also be there for those of you who like country.

The Ohio State University Class of 2013

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

There's a place near Sandusky that sells TBDBITL -- The best donut burger in the land -- and I think they sell them at the fair as well.  It's basically a Baconator between two halves of Krispy Kreme.  Your heart won't thank you but your mouth will.

+1 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Also:  If you haven't tried deep fried buckeyes at the fair, you are doing yourself a disservice.  They take the regular pre-packaged buckeyes, roll them in funnel cake batter, and deep fry them until golden brown.  You will burn your mouth and tongue as the liquid chocolate and peanut butter drip down your throat but it is worth it.  They are usually 5 for $5.

The Rill Dill's picture

You'll see people that haven't come outta the holler since last year's fair.  A real freak fest.  More wife beaters and mullets than you can shake a stick at. 

+1 HS
1967Buck's picture

ok there RD, Im a countryboy and I aint nothing like that. Just sayin.  

NH-IO's picture

Haven't lived in Ohio since I was sixteen, but went back 30 some years later just to take my two daughters to the fair.  They loved it.  The con  corn on the cob, french fires in the paper cup (with vinegar), cheese sandwiches and the butter sculpture in the milk barn, the horse shows, the bands, all the exhibits, corn dogs, meeting up at the big Cardinal.  The fair and football are the dominant exemplifications of my youth. Time and change will surely show... nothing better.

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

"The con on the cob"?  Is that some kind of carnival game they screw you out of money with?  ;)

BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Of course you have this guy...

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Sin City Buckeye's picture

I remember going to the fair in the 80's, they had WWF wrestling and I remember The Missing Link walked by during his ring entrance and kids were scared of him. Good ol' times

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+1 HS
ronbizi's picture

Grew up in Ohio, loved the Ohio State fair until my parents "surprised"/traumatized me with a Reba McIntyre concert one year.  Lived in Dallas, Texas for a few years.  Not a big fan of that city and state, but they did have one hell of a fair.  It had fried _______ (fill in the blank of any food you can imagine) there.  Even had fried beer, which I tried.  And it was gross.  But the fried Oreos and Snickers were delicious!

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Living in the State of Washington and having the state fair in our own backyard - the two things they do have that I will not eat are Deep Fried Butter.............

and the Earthquake Burgers which are amazing - I remember from my younger days..........

+3 HS
cjkanski's picture

I'm looking to try one of these burgers this year. It's been awhile since I've been to the Puyallup. Kids are old enough now to graduate from county fair status!!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

We actually live about a mile away from the fairgrounds. Where are you at?

hit_the_couch's picture

The deep fried Snickers bar was the sh^t!

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

It just hasn't been the same since the robbery/fire a few years back.

hit_the_couch's picture

The fair was pretty epic until we had a change in governor (Voinovich) and they all of the sudden started charging for rides... 

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

halfmile78's picture

A state fair story. Back when I was in high school(we're talking 30+ years ago) I took my girlfriend to the state fair. I tried like crazy to win her this huge stuffed animal throwing little rings at pop bottles. Had no luck. Finally my girlfriend said let me try. You guessed it, first one she tossed, dead ringer. And of course the barker had to let everyone there know she was a winner. I never felt smaller in my life. She had this smug little smile on her face. Funny the things you remember.

Halfmile78

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Last time I went was in the early 2000's..Its one of the best fairs Ive personally been too. Texas is up there. Started seeing pockets of racial violence and it was becoming more serious. Havent returned since and ask anyone that goes every year if they have cleaned that type of stuff up.Id like to make a return trip. Cant even go to a church festival down here in Cincy without at least 3 big gang type of fights breaking out(usually racial).Not a safe environment for 2 small children.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.