Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Soooo......I shattered my ankle Friday

Nappy's picture
February 18, 2014 at 11:39am
40 Comments

Thought I'd share my wonderful experience with everyone.  

At work Friday I had to walk to a different building to check on an order for a customer.  I slipped on some ice and somehow managed to completely destroy my ankle.  It was bad enough to require surgery but there were no orthopedic surgeons available until Monday (yesterday).  So I had to man up for a couple days and deal with it.  Fortunately I was prescribed some Norcos and they took care of the pain for the most part.  I ended up with 9 screws and a plate in my right ankle.  

My first broken bone.  Go big or go home.

Friday at Urgent Care
After surgery

IH8UOFM's picture

Coming from someone that has had orbital fractures in both ankles, I feel your pain. One was playing baseball...and one was......running from "someone" after a long night of drinking and dares.

Buckeyebrowny919's picture

dude.....hooooooooooooooow?

To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift - Steve Prefontaine

Nappy's picture

I've been asking myself that since it happened.  I really have no clue how it broke so bad.  I just remember stepping on the ice, my foot kind of rotated clockwise, I heard a couple pops, and then I hit the ground.  Yeah, I don't get it either.

Fan of bacon since 1981

+7 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I guess you didn't "tread lightly".

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
almurray10's picture

He probably should've stayed out of that teritory

+1 HS

to check on an order for a customer

Sounds about right. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

osu07asu10's picture

Nappy you get obligatory +1s from me until I can get that nasty image out of my brain, and it is probably gonna be awhile.

Here is to a speedy recovery!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
BUCKSOMIES's picture

Ouch Nappy.  Were you day dreaming?  Get well soon.

+1 HS

Are you sure that isn't Brady Hoke's leg?

But seriously, did you cry like a baby?

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Ouch. I've not had the (dis)pleasure of ankles, but my knees tell stories.

Heal well my man, sounds like they've got you the right meds.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+1 HS
Alpo's picture

I broken 16 bones in my life mostly in my youth but I can agree they are painful. I never broke an ankle but have severely sprained both a few times each, and that sucks enough as it is. My collarbone was one of the worst, along with two vertebrae as far as pain and uncomfortability. I feel your pain brother, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Heal well my friend.

I broken 16 bones in my life mostly in my youth

Did you play football?

Alpo's picture

Football and Lacrosse but most of my injuries were a result of just being a kid thinking along the lines of "what bad could come of this idea?!?" had no fear as a child but now in my mid thirties, I'm somewhat less the risk taker I once was.

One Bad Buckeye's picture

Ouch man!  I think I broke my middle finger playing b-ball last night and thought I had it rough.  

Wishing you a speedy recovery Nappy.  

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I had a HANG NAIL 2 weeks ago and cried like a baby - LOL

+1 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

Holy Mary!  

You have given me sufficient inspiration to be careful as a mofo.

Get better soon man, get better soon.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+1 HS
BME_Buckeye's picture

I'm curious,  what type of bone fracture did the doctor said you sustained?  I haven't seen something that bad in some time. 

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see.

Nappy's picture

They told me but I really don't remember.  The surgeon said one bone was partially shattered if that helps.

Fan of bacon since 1981

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Yikes, Nappy. Get better soon man.

But if you didn't do this after you got hurt, I'm not quite sure of the validity of it all...

+8 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

Damn.  Brutal. 

I went 35 years before I broke a bone, but I didn't let it all hang out like that.  I just fractured the tip of my index finger (It got crushed when a leaf of a heavy folding plywood table opened on me as I was carrying an end).

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Nappy's picture

Just the tip?

Fan of bacon since 1981

+3 HS
UFest57's picture

Just to see how it feels 

+3 HS
Doc's picture

Damn, that sucks Nappy.  Get well soon.  Enjoy the Norcos.

"Say my name."

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

Looks painful, enjoy the meds.

While we're talking about ankles:

~~KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia – American snowboarder Trevor Jacobs raced nearly two full runs on the snowboard cross course Tuesday morning on what he believes is a broken ankle.

Jacobs said he heard a pop in his right ankle as he landed off the first jump in his semifinal heat. He knew the ligaments around his cuboid bone were already a mess, and the pop told him his ankle was shredded.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/02/18/sochi-olympics-trevor-jacob-shredded-an...

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
Buckabroad's picture

Wow. That looks painful. Broke mine during a game when I was a teenager and didn't notice it until I got home. Then the pain kicked in. Absolutely excrutiating. FWIW I recovered fully and have no negative side effects. Hope the same happens to you.

I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+1 HS
2014nationalchamps's picture

I would have to say you broke 2 bones. Looks like you completely shattered the fibula breaking it in half. Your body weight caused the fibula to splinter laterally and pull on the tibiofibular joint.  That caused the second break in your Tibia.  That is one ugly ankle fracture. Good luck with recovery.

O-H-I-O  for life

+2 HS
villagebuckeye's picture

My wife had a spiral fracture of her ankle back in November while coming down a patients house steps(she is a home health nurse). Had surgery 11 days later while waiting for the surgeon she wanted in Cbus. She is out of the cast, out of the boot and now wearing a brace and walking with a cane. Making nice progress and her pain has lessened a great deal. Stay on top of Workers Comp. Once it gets rolling they are very good. 

Good luck in your recovery and pt

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You know something Nappy - your Picture Icon is not nearly as intimidating as that picture with screws.

rider1's picture

8 weeks since having arthro & a major tendon removed from my ankle-just now going partial weight bearing. Surgery is nothing-recovery is a bitch-sitting around with my foot propped up above my heart, not fun.  Invest in Netflix or some such. Keep your head up- March Madness is on the way! Take care.

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

WHAT AN IDIOT. haha just kidding, but I demand upvotes for shoveling his driveway on Sunday

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Feel better man!

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Hope you have a speedy recovery!  My office mate here missed a stair step carrying a big box and broke one ankle then in the fall (trying to recover balance) shattered the other one. Surgery on both.   Wheel chair for 4 weeks then had to crutches hobble on the only broken not shattered ankle for a long time . Not good.

I guess the paper cut I got today isn't such a big deal after all.   There WAS blood!!

+1 HS
villagebuckeye's picture

Get  knee scooter. So much better and safer then crutches

+1 HS
acBuckeye's picture

I bet the guy in your profile pic can cook up a little something to make you feel better......

Oyster's picture

Look at all the money you will save since you wont be golfing this summer.

southbay's picture

Makes me appreciate how lucky I was, having slipped and fell on ice any number of times while I lived in Columbus,  without ever really getting hurt.  Although one time I was unconscious for a few minutes...

OSUStu's picture

That sucks.  Good luck with the healing.  My advice:  Don't let cabin fever set in...it does weird things to the brain.  And invest in a good scratching stick.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

He knows Grace Kelly? :o

ITWASME's picture

I slipped on ice the other day and my knee almost collapsed but I caught myself so now I feel quite lucky. And DAMN THAT LOOKS PAINFUL