Ohio State certainly didn't waste any time in its season-opener.
The Buckeyes jumped out to an early 18-5 lead over visiting UMass-Lowell and coasted from there to the tune of an 92-55 victory Friday night at the Schottenstein Center.
Ohio State's prized freshman, D'Angelo Russell, led the Buckeyes in scoring with 16 points. Sam Thompson and Marc Loving added 14, Anthony Lee had 13 and Kam Williams scored 12 to give Ohio State five double-digit scorers. Shannon Scott added a near double-double with nine points and 11 assists.
The Buckeyes' length and athleticism gave the visiting River Hawks fits all night as the Ohio State's combination of a 2-2-1 full-court press and 2-3 zone forced 19 UMass-Lowell turnovers.
Ohio State held a 22-point lead at halftime and shot a stellar 62 percent from the field in the game's first 20 minutes. All 10 players who saw action for the Buckeyes found the scoring column.
Ohio State will next be in action Tuesday against Marquette at the Schottenstein Center.
|37-60 (61.7)||FGM-FGA (PCT.)||20-47 (42.6)|
|9-22 (40.9)||3PM-3PA (PCT.)||7-17 (41.2)|
|9-15 (60.0)||FTM-FTA (PCT.)||8-12 (75.0)|
|24||PTS OFF TURNOVERS||9|
|38||POINTS IN PAINT||26|
- With the win, Ohio State is now 110-6 all-time against non-conference opponents at the Schottenstein Center.
- Ohio State has won 79-straight home games against unranked opponents and 52-straight against unranked non-conference opponents.
- Five players scored in double figures for the Buckeyes, marking the first time since Iowa back on Feb. 4.
- All 10 players in action scored. The last time ten players scored was against Bryant on Dec. 11, 2013.
- D'Angelo Russell and Shannon Scott combined for 17 assists and five steals.
- With the win, Thad Matta is now 14-0 and 11-0 at Ohio State in season-opening games.
- Ohio State is 50-6 under Matta in the month of November.
- The Buckeyes are also 227-28 against non-ranked opponents with Matta as head coach.
- Shannon Scott's 11 assists were a career-high.