Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

My Plan for a Successful ALTERNATE Pro-Football League (XFL/AAF/etc) That Works (maybe)

+5 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
May 1, 2019 at 10:12am
28 Comments

The 11w article that shows there are enough Buckeyes to field a full QUALITY NFL team got me thinking again about a successful alternate pro league. 

All these leagues seem to think they can develop NEW loyalties and new brands. I don't think that's easy. People are HIGHLY loyal to their NFL teams and their CFB teams.  You can't change it... so work WITH IT.  

Base a new league around GEOGRAPHICAL and COLLEGE loyalty/identity.  

• 10 team league 
  • 5 power conferences are the base, smaller conferences within that geography fill the gaps. EXAMPLE: The B1G 10 would have two teams and also players from the MAC.
  • 10 game schedule with playoffs
  • Play games in your geographical location
  • NFL fringe players like JTB can play in the league and also get "called up" like in soccer 

Look, I don't care about the San Diego Fleet or Atlanta Rappers or whatnot. After my teams, I care about my players from OSU.... we all do.  I would pay money and pay attention to follow whatever team JTB or Adolphus Washington or Tracy Sprinkle play on.

Combine those guys with some other players we grudgingly respect like an Iowa lineman or a Wisky RB... plus a few MAC heroes that maybe you went to HS with (or their parents). 

I think this would be much more likely to work than developing some random new loyalty to a league that is likely to fail. I like football. I like Ohio State. I like OSU players. I like the Midwest. I like the Big 10. Let's do this. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments