Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Dolan = Dumb

+10 HS
IHadToGoogleArchiesMiddleName's picture
March 25, 2019 at 4:41pm
124 Comments

Personal opinion: The Indians were never going to sign Francisco Lindor* once he hit free agency. Everyone knew it. He's just too good to accept what we can pay.

Another personal opinion: Paul Dolan just pissed off all of Cleveland by candidly admitting that fact THREE YEARS before said free agency.

Context: Paul Dolan was interviewed by Zack Meisel for an article on the Athletic and when asked about re-signing Francisco Lindor the following conversation happened

PD: "Probably the day we [hand out a $300 million contract] is when somebody else is doing $1 billion deals."

ZM: What would you say to fans worried about Lindor's future?

PD: “Enjoy him.”

As a lifelong Indians fan this feels like a giant middle finger from a guy who has been begging us for years to fill up the stadium because he was losing money on the team with the declining attendance. 

Throughout my perusing of the comments section on Twitter, someone also made the point that he is up somewhere in the +300% range in the value of the club since they bought the team back in 1999. I know Cleveland is a "small market" team but I don't see how a guy who is coming out that far ahead has the stones to look the Cleveland fans in the face and complain about how much money he is "losing" while also telling them straight up he is planning to let their favorite player walk.

For anyone wondering, my ass will be watching this team in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and anywhere but Cleveland this year. I'll put my money in someone else's pockets, thanks.

If I have made egregious errors in judgement, by all means, roast me in the comments. This is my clouded-by-emotion, rage-induced #rant that could lead to a bad #take or two.

Condolences from other fan bases will be accepted as well. TIA.

*otherwise known as the unanimous fan favorite for the past 3+ years

TL;DR - Paul Dolan is not smart.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 124 Comments