Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Report: Browns to Name Freddie Kitchens the New Head Coach

+4 HS
Defiance's picture
January 9, 2019 at 12:06pm
60 Comments

In other Ohio football news, it looks the Browns may have found their next head coach.

For many who have been following this coaching search, it won't come as much of a surprise.

Here's the details as they are emerging:

General Manager John Dorsey addressed the mystery of Kitchens as a potential head coaching candidate after the season.

"I think you got a really good illustration of what Freddie could do in that fourth preseason game. I have always said play calling is an art, not a true science. You have to feel the moment. I think Freddiehas a good feel for that type of thing. What we would like to do is learn a little bit more about Freddie. That is why we are going to sit there and talk to him," Dorsey said.

The reasoning for the coach's candidacy is rather simple.

“He has moved the ball," Dorsey said of Kitchens' success as an offensive coordinator.

"He has gotten the ball out of the quarterback’s hands quicker. I think he has put some flair and different route combinations together that help out the quarterback. Overall, he has kind of moved the bar on the offensive side of the ball.”

Sounds like they like the way the offense moved and scored under his direction after he took over when Hue Jackson was let go mid season.

The offense and rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield surged when Kitchens took over from former head coach Hue Jackson in Week 9.

Mayfield completed 130-of-223 passes for 1,471 yards (11.3 yards per completion), eight touchdowns and six interceptions as well as 15 carries for 91 yards in six games with Jackson and former offensive coordinator Todd Haley. He completed 180-of-263 passes for 2,254 yards (12.5 yards per completion), 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions as well as 24 carries for 40 yards in eight games with Kitchens.

The offense scored 21.7 points per game in the six games with the combination of Jackson, Haley and Mayfield. They averaged 23.75 points per game in the Kitchens-Mayfield era.

Cleveland went 5-3 during the second half of the season.

Cleveland parted ways with Jackson and Haley on Oct. 29. Interim head coach Gregg Williams and Kitchens took over and led the franchise to a 5-3 record during the second half of the season.

Here's the short version of Kitchens pre-Cleveland.

Kitchens had been hired during the off-season. He previously served under Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians. His past included a stop with the Dallas Cowboys and he was a quarterback at the University of Alabama as well. The 43 year old did call plays during the final preseason game against the Detroit Lions before assuming the duties during the regular season.

Here's a link for those interested in the short article. 

Thoughts, likes, dislikes?

Let's here it Dubbers!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 60 Comments