Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Neymar Leaving Barca Ahead of Potential PSG Move

+3 HS
Cooper's picture
August 2, 2017 at 9:44am
14 Comments

So, I may have jumped the gun a bit on the potential Kylian Mbappe transfer (I still believe he will end up at Real Madrid), but this news is essentially as official it can get. Neymar informed his teammates this morning that he would be leaving Barcelona. His buyout clause is worth approximately 222 million euros, shattering Paul Pogba's transfer record. 

Via CBS Sports

The player Neymar Jr, accompanied by his father and agent, has informed FC Barcelona this morning of his decision to leave the club in a meeting held at the club's offices.

Faced with this position, the club has informed them they refer to the buy-out clause of his existing contract which as of 1 July totals 222 million euros which will have to be deposited in its entirety.

The La Liga President is being a salty spittoon and is vowing to petition the potential move. 

La Liga president Javier Tebas has said he is ready to file a complaint about "financial dopers" Paris Saint-Germain to UEFA and the European Union for what he feels are clear breaches of financial fair play over their pursuit of Neymar.

That's pretty rich, considering all of the players La Liga has plucked away from the Premier League. Granted, this is an astronomical fee.

Lionel Messi also sent out a Instagram post celebrating his time spent with the Brazilian international (click on the link for the full video, I'm not sure why Instagram posts are unable to embed for me).

The caption is translated as "It was a great pleasure to have shared all these years with you, friend @neymarjr. I wish you good luck in this new stage of your life. I love you."

I'm not sure this is the right move for Neymar, but money talks in modern day European football.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments