Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

More Likely: Urban Coaches Again at OSU or Harbaugh Coaches Again at Michigan?

+6 HS
GoBuckswin's picture
January 27, 2024 at 5:46pm
29 Comments

While I know the chances are that Urban Meyer does not coach again at Ohio State and that Jim Harbaugh does not coach again at Michigan, which one is more likely to happen? Harbaugh is already 60 and Urban will be 60 in July. Harbaugh of course just signed a 5-year contract w/ the Chargers AND may be facing a show cause if he returns to college football. I do not see Harbaugh lasting 5 years w/ the Chargers. I think he will just wear out his welcome after 3 maybe 4 years. 

Urban is not coaching anyone right now, so in theory, he is available should Ohio State need him again. However, I think that Ryan Day will still be coaching at Ohio State long after Sherrone Moore has left Michigan. 

Ultimately, I think it is more likely Meyer returns to Ohio State than Harbaugh going back to Michigan. I could see a situation in which Day wins a national championship at Ohio State (perhaps as soon as this upcoming season), and then at some point, (not saying in the immediate or even foreseeable future), maybe when his children are a little older, Ryan decides to go to the NFL, possibly with little notice to OSU. Say some dream NFL position suddenly opens. The best way to hold onto a top recruiting class so they do not leave if you lose a coach like Ryan Day is to bring back Urban to at least steady the ship for a year or two until a long-term replacement could be found.

It is the off-season, so perhaps a good time to ask: What do you think is more likely to happen? Urban back to OSU or Harbaugh back to TTUN?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments