Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Biggest Question Marks Heading into the Season

+8 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
January 15, 2024 at 12:23pm
36 Comments

We've had a great couple of weeks with players returning and coaching moves. Day and company are being strategic and aggressive. 

• I expect the OC coaching issue will be addressed soon enough. More and more smoke is pointing to Jason Candle, but I don't think that's a done deal just yet. There are also some rumors of NFL options. 
  • Offensive line, again, seems to be the biggest question mark. We picked up a center. We need another quality tackle. I think we could also use more competition at guard. They were very slow to address this last year as almost everyone pointed out...and we ended up with a developmental project in Simmons (who to be fair, did develop decently until the whole line got abused against MIZZOU) and a guy who was never going to play at OSU. 
  • Linebackers are questionable/unproven. We have recruiting star talent here. Cody Simon has the most experience & will likely start at Mike.  Hicks is athletic as all get out but doesn't get minutes, just coach talk. Do we know if he can play LB? Is he a Jack?  After that you've got Powers, Reese, and even more unproven guys. 
  • Safety may be a little thin but we have guys with more experience there than LB. Getting Ransom back was huge. Who replaces Proctor? Hartford flashed at time...and also showed he was a true freshman at others.  Carter was injured early and though experienced, never seemed to get traction. I think this position has potential, maybe lacks some depth. Obviously, if we could get Caleb Downs it would be amazing.
  • Last but not least, we have some special teams questions. Who will coordinate this?  Who will punt? Is Fielding good enough to be the kicker again?

Give Ryan Day a lot of credit for the moves he's making! What else needs to happen? What's on your wish list? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments