Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The 2024 Season and Schedule

+6 HS
huffdaddy's picture
December 30, 2023 at 11:26am
20 Comments

Ryan Day will make some changes in the next month, and we will see if they are enough. If he loses to Michigan or doesn't make the 12 team playoffs, he will be out of a job.

Turning to that, it's a new game with a 12 team playoff. Sure you would like to get a first round bye, but as the NFL has showed, the critical thing is peaking late. Ohio State can go 10-2 next year and still make the playoffs in all likelihood. But they have to build momentum and peak late, or this time next year we will be welcoming a new HC. For 2024:

- The OOC looks like Michigan's OOC. It's pathetic and weak - 3 weaklings plus a bye week, before going at Sparty. So that is 5 weeks to build depth and try different combos and actually get real playing time. No more BS about backup QBs who can't play and defensive line with zero rotation. 

- Iowa at home and at Oregon in October, followed by at the kitties in November. OSU can lose one of those and probably can lose two of those. I am not saying any of us should want that - but it can happen without torpedoing the season. What does this mean? Play the most talented dudes early, the guys who need reps to pass the older guys. If it bites you early, so what? I better not hear any crap about how JJ Smith isn't ready and needs to earn his time playing special teams. This is a new era.

- I am assuming Ryan Day is smart enough to hand off play calling duty. And if he does, don't f'ing mettle in it. Let Hartline take some lumps early and get the rhythm going. Nobody wants to hear Ryan Day's voice in the headset suggesting the run to the boundary side. 

- The fans are going to be calling for Day's ass all year long, and he has put himself in that position. But, hopefully we can all remember that this season isn't decided by losing in Eugene - it's decided in week 12 and beyond. It's OK to trip and fall early. But it is no longer acceptable to trip and fall late. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments