Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Offensive Debacle Last Night is the Fault of Many. A Full View of the Offensive Struggles.

+7 HS
Neutz's picture
December 30, 2023 at 8:16am
21 Comments

I posted this under the offensive line struggles post. But wanted to create my own topic to see if others noticed these things as well.

While the offensive line was far from elite last night, the reactions I am seeing are flat out over reactions and sometimes plain wrong. The person to primarily blame tonight is not the players, it is the coaching staff and play caller. 

1. Re watch and look at scheme. The only thing Day did to “help” his inexperienced qb’s in this game was to lean on the run game. Once Mizzou figured that out (and it did not take long), they loaded the box and forced OSU into third and longs. That forces you into predictable play calls, allowing Mizzou to blitz and force the o line and young qb into a tough spot. (This makes even more sense once you read #2).

2. OSU did little to no max protect (at least from what I could tell watching on tv). Mizzou often blitzed more than OSU could block, and they often guessed right. The play calling was stale and did little to help the young qb’s. Roll outs were not utilized to move away from possible  pressure and give the young guys the option to take off when they sensed pressure. ( will make more sense when you read #3.)

3. It is usually the job of the QB or Center to set the protection (usually QB). And this makes sense with what we say tonight. There was a new center AND new qb(s). Often in college offenses, qb will set the protection which will sometimes be altered by the coaches (the pause and check with me to the sideline is usually an audible or change of protection. Brown and Kienholz were setting bad protection for themselves. Several times, I even saw Henderson set the protection (that does not look good on the part of the Qb’s or the position coach).

BUT, the set pass pro was a moot point because of my final point. 

The O line and QB were not put into a position to be successful. They were mostly asked to perform pass pro out of third and long, set by an inexperienced QB, with Mizzou bringing more than they could block. The QB could not get the ball out quick because the receivers had to run routes past the sticks and get into their breaks. 

Mizzou out game planned Day PLAIN AND SIMPLE. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments