Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Care/Don't Care: Three Things After WKU

+12 HS
milhouse4588's picture
September 16, 2023 at 7:51pm
63 Comments

Care: Offensive Identity

I'm not sure we have the me yet. And that is not a bad thing. We ran the ball early, and very successfully. We passed the ball later, and even more successfully. If we can continue to improve and shore up the mental mistakes (Simmons), this offense can be very good. This was a very bad defense we played, but we still looked great, as we should have.

Don't Care: Stover's Lack of Perimeter Blocking

The guy just isn't good at it. But damn he's a good receiving TE. I think his strengths far exceed his weaknesses as long as the don't depend on stretch plays thst require him to block on the outside. He won't be able to do it consistently. But he is an extreme weapon for us. He is going to have at least a couple very important TDs or plays for us this year down the line as defenses key in on MHJr and Egbuka.

Care: Carnell Tate

He's the next great one at OSU. First, let's get the obvious over with: amazing TD from an amazing throw from Brown. That's the first of many. But he had another great catch after getting hit hard and holding on for a first down, and the heads up play after the Stover fumble was the most important play he made all game. He's the whole package. Mom is definitely proud right now because she raised a baller and he is going to make her proud for the rest of his OSU career. What a great kid.

Don't Care: McCord miscues

There were a couple: namely the overhead misfire to Fleming and the fumble where he didn't feel the pocket well enough. These are experience issues. He totally proved he deserved the QB1 position today. He looked great.

Care: overall defense

WKU isn't a joke on offense. They are very good and will be this season. Having NFL-quality QB/WR combos isn't as common as one might think and they have one in Reed/Corley. We shut it down. They effectively had less than 200 yards passing this game. Our CBs played very well overall and that's a great sign of their development. Burke did his thing excellently but the others played very well. There were some hiccups (back to back bad plays on Hancock including the PI), but they were pretty much always in position and broke up a ton of passes. The turnovers and TDs are a cherry on top. Next week is a much better test against a much better O-line with a QB that can sling it. I'm beginning to really believe in our guys.

Don't Care: The close games by Bama/UGA/etc

It's early in the season and these game mean little. Bama and UGA and the others will likely be just fine. Especially UGA. We just did what we expected the first two games (dominate) and they didn't this time. We're familiar. The cream will rise to the top and we just need to not focus on the national narrative.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 63 Comments