Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Breaking Down Some Key Plays in the 4th Quarter

+9 HS
I'm Ron Burgundy's picture
January 2, 2023 at 11:03am
51 Comments

Kyle Jones I am not, and I hope he puts out his usual good stuff, but in general he doesn't usually post some of these near misses.  I am not high tech and at this point not going to be able to post GIFs or images, but if you have ESPN, they have the skycast and All 22 broadcasts/replays up where you can see these plays.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/529de213-489c-4da6-bfae-ab4a4fff8f11

I would start by saying, I thought Day called a really good game, and CJ played his best game and was outstanding.  But as we know, the last couple drives of the game, it seemed like we left some plays and points on the field.

First play to cover is the Kirby Smart TO on the fake punt. With the All 22 replay, you get to see real time how tight his TO call was. It was EXTREMELY generous. You also get to see that yes, OSU had 12 men on the field.  Not clear if the refs actually noticed and would have flagged it. As far as the TO call, breaking it down in real time, Kirby is probably 6 ft from the ref, when he first breaks and starts to gesture for a TO, the ball is just starting to be snapped. Like same exact time. Ball is mid air on its way to Rossi when Smart actually gets right next to ref with a demonstrative TO signal. Ball is Rossi's hands and he is running forward when the whistle actually blows. I really don't think he should have been awarded that, but we had 12 guys on the field, making it kind of moot.

Now the real killer plays..

Second to last drive of the game:

Ball On: 18 yd line
Down/Distance: 2nd & 5 with under 4 mins to go.
Playcall/Result: Not sure what we were actually trying to do. EE goes in motion left and then orbits back right. Stroud fakes a pass to him. UGA totally ignores his motion and the fake, and goes all out to Stroud. Hayden slips out of the backfield going left and Stroud ultimately pumps to him and gets swallowed up for a huge 12 yd sack. The thing is Hayden never even looks back for the ball and just keeps running. Rossi is uncovered in the middle of the field, but even his route takes over near-ish to the 1 defender who is picking up Hayden as well. So I think we were trying some form of the popular fake right, fake left, throw TE over the middle play, and I guess it was there, but WAY too long to develop. Could have thrown to Rossi right away for a 10 yd gain.

Ball On: 30 yd line
Down/Distance: 3rd & 17 ~3 mins to go
Playcall/Result:  This is the kind of play you only see on the All 22 or skycast. Big miss by CJ here. UGA has 5 deep DBs 12-15 yds off the ball pre-snap. LBs up tight showing blitz. Before the snap the slot DB over EE also vacates and shows blitz. Who Stroud identifies and points at right before the snap. So with that picture, you have 6 defenders on the line of scrimmage, blitzing, and the other 5 dropping 15 yds off the line. The middle of the field is completely empty pre-snap. Stroud's first read is EE, who runs about 10 yds and breaks inward. He's wide open. Stroud is looking right at him. It's a 20 yd gain minimum for a first down. Because the deep middle safety is standing on the goalline at this point. But for some reason Stroud comes off of him, and overthrows the also wide open Royer on the left, who would have gotten maybe 10 yds and set up a closer FG. This is a tough one. I had no idea we had such a huge missed opportunity on this play.

Last drive:

Ball On: 31 yd line
Down/Distance: 1st and 10, 24 secs to go
Playcall:  Hayden run left for -1 yds. Very frustrating play, again with the skycam showing what could have been.  Rossi is flexed off the line right. EE motions from the slot left to the right, whom again UGA completely ignores. Just before the ball is even snapped, UGA LB over Rossi crossfire blitzes way over into the gap where we run Hayden weakside with no blockers. The other UGA LB who crosses over to the other side is pretty late in doing so. If this is a run right, to the strong side with 2 additional blockers, it is 15 yds before contact and only a safety to beat. Just not sure with their alignment why would try to run into their blitz on the weakside. UGA got very luck we did not gash them.

Ball On: 32 yd line
Down/Distance: 2nd and 11, 19 secs to go
Playcall: This is actually one where credit to UGA, they had a great defense called for our playcall which was not bad. Basically OSU tried to run a quick double slant from the right. EE in the slot was supposed to be the guy. Pre-snap the UGA safety was showing man coverage over him about 10 yds off the ball. I am sure we thought we had an easy pickup. Just at the snap, safety drops out into deep half help, and the UGA jack LB drops out into man on EE, in the perfect position to take away the slant. CJ has no choice but to come off EE and throw to XJ on the 2nd slant, but Ringo is all over it this time. If EE was running some type of out route, UGA LB would have been complete toast. But it was not a bad play call by OSU, we just lost the paper rock scissors fight there so to speak.

Ball On: 32 yd line
Down/Distance: 3rd and 11, 15 secs to go
Playcall: So much to unpack on this play. OSU did the fake I'm looking at the sideline, and then hurry and snap it. UGA is completely unset and caught off guard. Now, this wouldn't have been popular, but if you're going to do this, the biggest advantage you have is running the ball, because UGA didn't have any D lineman in a stance. Think Trey Sermon TD against Clemson. But it is a pass, and that's OK too. And CJs first read is EE from the slot, who runs an out.  And is WIDE open. The DB covering him was also caught off guard by the quick snap and is no where him. If I can get a screen grab, CJ is looking right at EE, with no one on him and nothing but green grass. It's a 10+ yard gain, and if that DB misses the open field tackle, EE may score. But CJ doesn't throw it, looks back right, and now, even though UGA wasn't ready, the outside rusher just blows by Royer and CJ has to scramble and throw it away.  But for a guy who played such a great game, I just don't know how/why he doesn't make the easiest simplest most basic throw of the game to a wide open EE, which probably wins the game for us.

So there it is.  Those 5 plays. One atrocious fake right fake left screen call, a run call that was the right idea just in the wrong direction, and 2 huge huge mega huge misses by CJ on his #1 target being wide open and he is looking right at him. Very tough loss to take.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments