Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Difference A Month Makes

+3 HS
WoodyBruce's picture
January 1, 2023 at 11:35am
6 Comments

“Day might be in over his head, we hired Knowles for this? CJ is soft, program heading in wrong direction.” Not everyone was voicing this, but a lot were. Some truth in all it, but where are we now, one month later?

Day was described as “born on 3rd base, thinking he’d hit a triple.” Any HC hired at OSU inherits 3rd base, but Day had actually helped get/keep us there as OC. But being a DH isn’t the same as being the Manager, and he’s had some ups and downs. His competence to lead this program (as opposed to being a part) has been challenged, on and off the field, and in one month he found something. He transformed a team that laid down on their home field against their biggest rival into a team that played heads up against an undefeated defending champ in its backyard. I saw toughness, swagger, effort, adaptation that hadn’t been present this year. I saw a team that thought it would win, not because it was supposed to, but thru will and effort. 

Day turned CJ into dual threat in a month, then watched him excel against the best team in the country. Who had that on their bingo card? 

Injuries to key players during the game? Fine, keep fighting. Would they have a month ago? Calls don’t go your way? Keep fighting. Again, last month?

Knowles may or may not be worth $2 million. It’s early. But yesterday’s defense was unrecognizable from the one a month ago. Yes, Georgia scored. Undefeated #1s usually find a way. We made a lot of stops, and when we didn’t, we were there. Right direction.

I don’t believe in moral victories, and I refuse to accept excuses. Anyone who does just sets themselves up to lose. But Day recognized his weaknesses, the team’s weaknesses, and took just one month to correct them.

Last month, and up until game time, many thought we didn’t belong in CFP and would get humiliated by Georgia. 4 hours later were convinced we’re the best team in the country.

Pretty successful month. Unless you bet against the Bucks. 

Go Bucks. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments