Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Overlook JSN at Your Own Risk

+6 HS
teeedawg's picture
September 28, 2022 at 4:50pm
18 Comments

Saw this Mock Draft today from NBC Sports that had three WRs going in the first round, none of which were JSN.

To me, this is nuts.

I'm reminded of the 2019 LSU Tigers. Ja'Marr Chase was the talk of the team with his insane 80/1800/20 stat line. But it was a less heralded 6'1" 200 lb slot receiver named Justin Jefferson who led the team in receptions.

Scouts weren't overly enthused with Jefferson's measurables, his role in the slot, and they questioned whether he could consistently win outside. Hmm sounds familiar.

These concerns caused Jefferson to drop and be the 5th WR taken. Just two years later, Jefferson is easily one of the top five WRs in the entire league.

Like the 2019 LSU Tigers, the 2021 Ohio State Buckeyes featured two first-round WRs in Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave. But that team's leading reciever was JSN, who finished with a record setting 95 receptions for 1600 yards as a true sophomore.

JSN (who also happens to be 6'1" 200 lb) is facing the same bogus questions about his measurables and fit that Jefferson did.

There are zero weaknesses to JSN's game. He’s an elite route runner who is equally adept at exploiting man and zone coverage, with strong yet soft hands, outstanding footwork, and a crafty ballcarrier who has produced tons of YAC.

Well, there is one glaring weakness. Speed. JSN is *only* expected to run in the 4.5 range at the combine.

However, the importance of speed for wide receivers is massively overrated. The two best WRs in the NFL last season - Davante Adams and Cooper Kupp - ran 4.56 and 4.62 40-yard dashes, respectively.

Elite NFL receivers excel at two things: route-running and hands. Both of which happen to be JSN's calling cards.

I'm sure Jordan Addison, AT Perry, and Kayshon Boutte will all be great NFL players.
But if JSN isn't the #1 WR taken, I believe NFL teams are repeating the same mistake they made with Jefferson two years ago.

Happy to hear any thoughts!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments