Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Dear Doomers, Ryan Day is the Answer.

+19 HS
tae1986's picture
July 30, 2022 at 10:37am
106 Comments

With all the negativity surrounding the board I’d like to remind people that we have bright future ahead of us.

Knowles being our DC who we believe is an elite and Day being Day, I truly believe Day can ruin Saban’s last few years of his coaching career.

We should have top 5 level offence and defence year in and year out going forward (if not this year which I believe, starting next year) and should have an advantage on QB play (the most important aspect of football) over field. Plus, WR advantage widens the QB play gap.

We quick to forget that Day put together an incredible, one of the most complete team in 2019. We were impressed by the team’s talent but more importantly we were impressed by the team’s level of execution.

Admittedly, I’ve only followed football since 2002 but I’ve never seen that kind of execution on both offence and defence during my fandom. I was so impressed by Day’s leadership and I believe many here shared that sentiment.

This year’s team should be on 2019 team’s level of talent/execution and we won’t look back from there. IMO, Day’s the biggest and only mistake as a head coach in Ohio State is that he employed unqualified DC for 2 years. People like to say the coaches know the best but the coaches are humans and relationships can blur people’s judgement.

Lots of us knew Coombs wasn’t the answer at DC but Day gave him a job then gave another chance after infamous 4 LBs Bama game and that might have costed him at least one championship. With a competent DC, we’d been more competitive against Bama in 2020 (practicing less and playing less game due to Covid was a big factor here as well. Bama struggled for while but came to its final form by practicing more and playing more games) and national championship favourite in 2021. We had the best team in 2019 but lost our edge and played sloppy in playoff (some bad luck included but this seemed out of character at that time).

Some keep saying coach Day will bolt to NFL (i.e. “When Day leaves for NFL, Hartline will be our HC”) but from the interviews I’ve seen and read, I can’t see Day leaving for another job ever unless circumstance changes dramatically.

We have an incredible head coach with potential to be one of the best ever. He is still dealing with consequences of his only mistake here (newbie mistake at that). However, he is just about to bounce back and remind of us how we felt about him in 2019. So we can just relax, sit back and watch excellence unfold in front of our eyes.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 106 Comments