Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Who is the Deep Threat This Season?

+7 HS
Cooper's picture
May 25, 2022 at 12:40pm
59 Comments

The returning receivers proved their worth in the Utah game, and their talent level makes it possibly one of the best position groups in all of college football. With that being said, Ohio State does lose their two biggest deep threats. Olave was the best deep ball route runner and catcher since Devin Smith. Even though most Ohio State fans though Wilson was more agile and electric than straight line fast, he did run a 4.37 40 and caught numerous deep balls in his career (Nebraska, Clemson in 2020 and Minnesota and Michigan State in 2021 come to mind). 

Clearly Day will adjust the offense to what fits the talents of the receivers, but I do think it is important to have a guy be a threat to take the top off the defense. It really opens up the field for guys like JSN to wreak havoc over the middle. I am only going to review the WR's expected to be in the rotation, in no particular order of their deep ball skills:

1. JSN- I do not think there is any doubt he is the best receiver in college football this season. He is great at catching those 20-30 yard seam throws from the slot, and he is also more than capable of being the fade receiver from 25 yards in. Is he the type of player to line up outside and run a 50 yard skinny post? To be determined, his body is not necessarily built like that, but it is hard to ever doubt a man with his talents.

2. Marvin Harrison Jr.- Another player you can trust from inside the 25 on fade routes, I think some people do underestimate the speed of Route Man Marv. However, I think he will be utilized in the same way Olave was on 15 yard and under routes (deep comebacks, curls, slants) but not in the same way for deep balls. 

3. Emeka Egbuka- This is an interesting one. Emeka has shown from his kickoff returns he is absolutely electric and natural with the the ball in his hands. He has been hawked on a few of those returns and his catch and run against Akron. I see a lot of Treylon Burks in his game, but I do think he has potential to be a guy to throw on deep routes.

4. Julian Fleming- I keep hoping Julian has a healthy season, because the potential is very much there in my opinion. He has track speed in a Julio Jones/Terrell Owens body (okay, he isn't as big as them but you get the picture). If his health can stay consistent, I can see him as being an option. Big question mark, though.

5. Jayden Ballard- I think this is naturally going to be everyone's favorite pick considering the reviews from Olave, Wilson, and Coach Marotti. He has been pegged as the offense's fastest player, and it seems he has really made strides in the past year. I think my question is will he be fully entrenched in the rotation enough to be able to get those deep ball opportunities? Hartline's biggest thing with playing time is essentially "the more you can do, the more you can help us," which suggests you can not necessarily be a one trick pony as an Ohio State receiver. Fighting with JSN, MHJ, Emeka, Julian, Treveyon, Chop, and Pryor for touches is also not an easy task.

Honorable mentions: Kyion Grayes may have an opportunity to play some but it is hard to envision a true freshman playing that big of a role on this year's team. Evan Pryor, though he is a RB, may be used in a Curtis Samuel role (wheel routes out of the backfield, lining up in the slot), but I do think his spot in a rotation may be limited. 

I know this is nit-picking and there really is not all that much to worry about this offense, but I do think Ohio State will need to have an established deep ball catcher(s) once November rolls around. If I had to guess, the deep balls will be spread around the receivers depending on the matchups any given week. However, if I HAD to pick one guy to fill the role, I would probably say JSN steps up because he is that damn good and also because I am not yet convinced Ballard will be receiving a bulk of snaps throughout the entirety of the season. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 59 Comments