Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Did Al Washington Get a Bad Rap

+11 HS
BuxLax's picture
January 25, 2022 at 9:32am
111 Comments

I know there was a lot of hype at the onset and then “disappointment” with Al Washington as a coach at Ohio State. However, I’m wondering if it wasn’t an unusual confluence of circumstances.

He had been a D line coach for the majority of his coaching career. He coached LB’s at SCum for one year but other than that primarily D Line and ST.

He could recruit – Top 10 recruiter in the nation. However, not being a seasoned linebacker’s coach player development starts to drag.

So I’m wondering if this wasn’t a Grinch/Schiano situation where Washington was brought in to coach a seasoned group of linebackers with the understanding Coach Johnson would retire in a year or so.

However, instead of D line coach in waiting, Coach Johnson  stays on and Washington is in the lurch.

Even up until January, people were speculating that Coach Johnson was going to retire. I think this might have been why Coach Washington was the last/next to last to go.

PS It is the off season, so time to ponder

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 111 Comments