Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Did the Rose Bowl Change Your Expectations for Next Season at All?

+16 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
January 4, 2022 at 3:37pm
104 Comments

It can't be understated how important it was for the culture and mood of the Buckeyes football team to finish 2021 with a win. How much did the Rose Bowl change your expectations for the next season, if it did at all? In what ways? 

For me, the game reassured me that although we're losing two of the best receivers to have ever played for Ohio State, our passing attack may not drop off much if it drops off at all. On the other hand, we were still pretty pedestrian in the ground game, and I'm not sure how much we'll improve with new bodies on the O-line. My hope is that true guards playing the guard spots instead of tackles will help with run-blocking, but that has yet to be seen. 

On the defensive side, I was at least heartened by the second half performance, and I'm really excited to see what Knowles does to transform a largely mediocre defense into something competent, or even dominant. 

One thing that the last week did remind me of is that the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry is still very much in OSU's favor. Anything could happen next November, but the gameplan Michigan used to beat us (a relentless rushing attack that dominates a hapless defense) isn't something they can hope to replicate if Knowles is who we think he is. If they're going to beat us again, they're going to have to try something else. Thing is, I'm not sure Michigan has that "something else" in their quiver. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 104 Comments