Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Question for Former Football Players/current Coaches Re Player Motivation for the Rose Bowl

+5 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
December 18, 2021 at 4:34pm
68 Comments

I admittedly did not play football at any level but I did play varsity soccer in high school and college. For those of you who played football and other varsity sports (or coach it), I was wondering: is there something about the physicality of football in comparison to other sports that impacts players’ potential motivation for any game (and especially the upcoming  Rose Bowl)?

I bring this up because some readers on this site have  expressed concern as to whether Buckeye players will be sufficiently ready/motivated for the Rose Bowl after falling short of their season’s ultimate goal.

Just from my experience decades ago playing soccer, there was never any question of my teammates being both psychologically and physically ready to play games.

For one thing, our regular season did not consist of that many games: we had only eight games for our freshman team, and then 13 or 14 for our varsity team.  So players absolutely embraced and looked forward to the opportunity to play any game, period.  And that was true even when we were out of the running for an NCAA bid or a league title.

Obviously we didn’t have to throw our bodies at opponents the way you do in football; but naturally there is still a certain amount of contact in soccer (not to mention the high level of running required).  But perhaps due to the extra physical element of football, it requires something extra that I can’t truly relate to because I never experienced it.  

The bottom line: for those of you who have played/coached football, is there any question in your mind about whether Ohio State will be psychologically and physically ready to compete at full capability in the upcoming Rose Bowl notwithstanding the fact that they are out of the CFP?  Thanks

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 68 Comments