Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Breaking Down B1G Bowl Matchups and Spreads

+1 HS
Spartan13's picture
December 8, 2021 at 12:25am
40 Comments

The best part of the college football season is approaching and with bowl season comes the ultimate time of conference pride. Also a really fun time to gamble on college football. Here is a breakdown of the B1G bowl matchups with spreads from vegasinsider

• Orange Bowl(playoff) Michigan(+7.5) vs Georgia-Harbaugh has done his best coaching job this year and get rewarded with a double SEC playoff. Tough break and as 7.5 point dogs they will need quite a bit to pull this off. UGA is stacked in the front 7, especially against the run. Jordan Davis is the most overrated player in football and they lost their pass rush with Adam Anderson being suspended. Still they are ridiculously good. Tough matchup because UGA is weaker in the secondary but not sure UM can exploit it. Michigan on defense is also something UGA hasnt really had to deal with after Clemson. This is the best front 7 they have seen all year and similarly wont be able to take advantage of a weaker secondary with Stetson Bennet at QB. I like UGA +7.5 a lot but I'm really concerned in Stetson moving the offense with Hutchinson/Ojabo and the lads on him. 
  • Rose Bowl OSU(-7) vs Utah-I am expecting atleast Olave/Wilson/Ruckert to opt out as I go through this. This is about as terrible of a matchup as OSU could find. Utah is tough as nails, runs the ball with a DT QB, and will absolutely hyped for this game. OSU appears to be a bit soft, are dissapointed to be here, and  cant stop the run especially with a DT QB. Utah isn't fantastic on offense and wont be able to throw the ball much. OSU has either been great against the run or unable to stop anything at all so it really is a big question what will we see. Utah is good on defense but I would be surprised if they are able to slow down OSUs skill due to a talent disparity. I do like OSU -7, I dont buy into the idea that OSU isnt going to care at all about the Rose Bowl and I doubt that Utah will really have the talent and skill to put up abunch of points on OSU.
  • Peach Bowl MSU(+3) vs Pitt-Think this is a story of better team(MSU) against a terrible matchup. Pitt is great at throwing the ball and good at stopping the run while struggling a bit running and against the pass. MSU is bad against the pass and its strength is running. That could be quite a bit to overcome. SP+ strongly favors Pitt. Is the ACC a solid conference with no elite team or are they just bad? I think this could be a really telling game. MSU could show up and run all over them and not give up too many scores but I think Pitt handles them pretty easy. Not betting it though, especially with Pitts OC off to Nebraska. 
  • Citrus Bowl Iowa(+3) vs Kentucky-This line has swung 4 points in the favor of UK since opening Iowa-1. This is going to be ugly and I dont think there is a lot there to pick a strong side. Kentucky has a decent offense and defense, Iowa has an elite defense and terrible offense. Will be a test to see if UK can move the ball against an elite B1G defense or stop a terrible B1G offense. 2 point difference in SP+, will be close either way, no pick on this for me.
  • Outback Bowl PSU(-2.5) vs Arkansas-This is almost a mirror matchup. Both teams have mobile QBs who arent great throwers but have an elite receiver. Both have solid and tough defenses. PSU is better on defense while Arkansas is a bit better on offense. Really good test of depth in seeing how close the B1G is to the SEC. I think this line is perfect and not going to touch it, should be a great game if both teams show up. 
  • Las Vegas Bowl Wisconsin(-7) vs Arizona State-ASU is a solid Pac-12 team but man I think this could get a bit ugly. ASU even matches up pretty well, their strength is the front 7 and could challenge Wisconsin on the ground. But their top two RBs will be out and they could really struggle moving the ball against Wisconsin. Jayden Daniels is going to get knocked around and without a run game to rely on will be in trouble. Wisconsin's running game is also something ASU has not seen anything close to. This is just a conference superiority pick for me. 
  • Music City Bowl Purdue(+3) vs Tennessee-Purdue could be in real trouble especially if their stars decide to sit out, David Bell and George Karlaftis already declared for the draft. They really could just be dead in the water without those guys against a really solid UT team that can score quite a bit. Tennessees weakness is pass defense but without David Bell I would doubt Purdue could cover this spread and exploit that weakness. 
  • Pinstripe Bowl Maryland(PK) vs VaTech-Maryland has a really nice opportunity to play a P5 team going through a coaching transition and pull off a win. VaTech was decent this year and Maryland goes into this game without their two great receivers who were hurt during the year. Could be a big momentum game for Maryland against a team who may not be fully focused.
  • Guaranteed Rate Bowl Minnesota(-4) vs West Virgina-Gophers got shafted and after going 8-4 they get the worst bowl of the conference. Pinstripe took 6-6 Maryland(who lost to Minny) ahead of them. A part of the reason was to avoid the rematch of Maryland/WVU. Minnesota is pretty weird going 8-4 but losing to BGSU and Illinois. They hired Kirk Cirroca back as OC who was an analyst at WVU. Not sure what team is going to show up here as sometimes the Minny offense is just dreadful. However the good Minny team is like really really good. I think that is going to be who shows up.

My B1G record prediction: 5-4, this is a pretty tough slate with 3 NY6 games, no G5 teams, and the weird Minnesota bowl snub thing basically pushed every mid tier team up a slot and slid Minnesota down to the very bottom. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments