Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Hit or Miss? 2018 Recruiting Class - #2 Nationally

-1 HS
BuxLax's picture
December 1, 2021 at 9:35am
54 Comments

I was thinking about our team midway through the season and came up with "You better get us this year because we are loaded going forward" (and playing a lot of freshmen/young guys). Then it occurred to me, maybe we are playing these young guys (or have to play them) because we missed on some of older guys/recruits.

The 2018 class seemed to stick out.   

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/season/2018-football/commits/

When I looked at this class - #2 Nationally and #1 Big Ten - it seems to have under performed.

Tommy Togiai left for the NFL and was drafted

Olave, NPF, Ruckert  are all All American or at least All Big Ten performers

Master Teague,Taron Vincent, Tyreke Smith, JJ Baptiste, Sevyn Banks, Cam Brown, Teradja Mitchell and Matt Jones have all contributed in some way but not consistently. I'm not sure about Tyreke Johnson.

Tyler Friday, Josh Proctor, Kamryn Babb - seemed to be more injured than contributing.

Jaelen Gill, Matt Baldwin, Max Wray, L'Christian Smith (Blue?) and Alex Williams- all left on their own

Brian Snead, Pope and Gant - Dismissed from the team.

I didn't spend too much time on the classifications and some guys could be moved up or down but the fact 5 left on their own and 3 were dismissed seemed high to me. Also, I would have thought that the third group would have had more All Big Ten honors on a consistent basis. And perhaps they did, I think Teague made 2nd team or HM one year.

Again, this was the #2 class nationally, so I guess recruiting is an inexact science.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments