Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Defense Isn’t Soft, the Scheme Sucks.

+39 HS
Neutz's picture
November 28, 2021 at 2:26am
147 Comments

I am reading posts by a lot of people on here who are working under the assumption that the players/ attitude of the team is “soft”. And that this is the main reason for the loss. I’ve gone back and watched the game a second time and noticed a few things.

1. As the game went on and TTUN got more successful on the ground, the d line was more and more desperate to make plays. Often, this meant firing out of their stances and getting too far up field, exposing creases and putting the linebackers in tough situations. TTUN ran a mostly zone run scheme, while also mixing in some gap. I’m shocked they didn’t attempt more traps with how far up the field the line was getting.

2. The d line rarely commanded double teams and were therefore unable to keep the linebackers clean. Another result of getting too deep. 

3. The defense was out schemed. TTUN played a simple numbers game and were successful at executing it. They simply spread the defense out and then attacked the weakest points. 

4. As a follow up to #3, the Bucks only had 6 inside the tackle box for most of the game. Anyone with basic football knowledge will tell you that even numbers or worse is bad news for a defense. 

5. Another scheme issue. The “bullet” position exists as a LB/ safety hybrid. It’s played by someone who has to be versatile and can cover when necessary. This means putting someone in there who is not always going to be an effective run stopper, another scheme issue. 

So in summary, a team loss is a team loss. But if we are being fair, the defensive coaching staff, especially whoever is responsible for the overall defensive game plan, in my opinion carries the most blame for this loss. I once coached under a great head coach who told me “ a soft game plan makes for soft players.”

For transparency, I am a former high school defensive coordinator. By no means as qualified as a D1 football coach. These are simply my observations from a watch/ re watch of the game. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 147 Comments