Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU Rooting Guide for the Rest of the Season

+12 HS
Spartan13's picture
November 19, 2021 at 12:52pm
61 Comments

With only 2 weeks left it is clear what the playoff possibilities are. This is the rooting guide based on importance to most help OSU win a title. This is also based in reality so not going to pretend like UGA will lose out and we play UTSA and UC in the playoffs. The idea is the only 2 teams that can beat OSU in the playoff are UGA and Bama and the rest will be sacrificial lambs. Ranked in importance

1. OSU wins out: MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin is a really tough slate but this is obviously #1.
  2. Georgia wins out: This will create two things to happen, Bama will go to 2 losses and be in a position to miss the playoffs and UGA will keep the #1 seed so OSU will avoid them in round 1. 
  3. Oregon wins out: The number of OSU fans I have seen rooting for them to lose is why I made this thread. We 1000% want them to continue to win out to help block out Bama from the playoff. Additionally it would set up a rematch in the first round of the playoff. OSU with a month of revenge on their mind would ensure there is a complete focus on getting a big win.
  4. UC wins out: The committee would have to pick between 13-0 UC or 11-2 Bama for the last spot in this scenario. There is a very good chance the committee still keeps Bama in ahead of UC but it would be very hard to do that over an undefeated team. 
  5. Oklahoma OR Oklahoma State wins out: It may not end up mattering but the committee would have to not only put a 2 loss team in over undefeated UC but also in over a 1 loss P5 champ. That would be a lot of fan bases you would be pissing off just to give a 2 loss team a rematch with the team that just beat them. 

This sets up a scenario where OSU will play Oregon in Dallas and then UGA in Indianapolis. The revenge factor will propel the team into maximum effort against Oregon and then UGA will have to contend with OSU's offense in a dome with likely home field advantage. Playing UGA on real grass in Miami in the Orange bowl semifinal would be pretty annoying. And we get to avoid the matchup nightmare of Bama. 

Worst case scenario is Bama beats UGA then we would have to play both UGA and Bama in the playoff. I'm sure there are people who want to see that but after 2019 where we lose to an elite team in Clemson because of bad calls and random weird plays I would rather just take the easiest road. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 61 Comments