A List of Things That Can *All* Be True

+15 HS
El Caballo de Sangre's picture
September 26, 2021 at 5:01am
89 Comments

1. K'Vaughn Pope & Dallas Gant Leaving the Team is a *Good Thing*

2. There is Definitely At Least Half of a *Culture* Problem

3. The Solution is Easy

To elaborate, first with regard to 1: Given that there are really only two LB spots, it is not at all ideal to have *seven* players, each with their own reasons to think they've earned significant prime-time snaps. That actually seems like a situation that is ripe for dissension; especially when one of those players is someone like K'Vaughn, who has *repeatedly* been called out by the coaches as someone who needed to "buy in" more, attitude/effort in practice-wise, if he wanted to see the field more. He looked fine whenever he played, sure, but there is no possible way (aside from multiple injuries at the position) that his departure affects Ohio State's ability to play defense per se. Dallas Gant obviously chose a different way to leave the team, but again his departure will not likely have much impact on the quality of Ohio State's defense; mostly because he had a neutral or negative effect on the defense during his time on the field this year. So: now we have Teradja Mitchell, Steele Chambers, Palaie Gaoteote, Cody Simon, & Tommy Eichenburg competing for playing time at those two spots, & I feel better about that than I did about that group *plus* two bench-riding seniors who clearly needed their expectations or psyches managed.

That said, & with regard to number two: There is absolutely a *culture* problem on this defense - what happened tonight with K'Vaughn Pope cannot be ignored, & is evidence on its face that at the very least, Al Washington (& by extension Matt Barnes, Kerry Coombs, & Ryan Day) are not on the same page, four games into the season, with a player who's been in the program for four years. Beyond that, there were the embarrassing unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on Mike Hall & Jakailin Johnson - the throat-slash gesture has been an automatic flag for a LONG time now, & Jakailin's behavior was a textbook example of unsportsmanlike taunting. It makes me wonder how these guys are being taught to *behave* in practice. Again, those two penalties were very, very stupid, *obviously going to be called*, embarrassing, & the kind of thing to make an observer wonder how they're being coached, & whether Black stripes should be reapplied. Hopefully that shit gets cleaned up.

Finally: This will all be fine - seriously. Al Washington's job is much simpler now than it was just a day ago, & I would be willing to bet that we see consistently improved & improving play from that position group. For *this* season, who knows how the Coombs/Barnes coordinating will work itself out, but it feels like we've already seen the floor for this defense (Oregon & Tulsa) & that barring injuries the remaining question is what the ceiling is. Once the season is over, it seems quite clear that Day will not stand pat - Paul Rhoads can quite easily be promoted to co-coordinator, say, so as to be able to keep Coombs & his recruiting ability on staff, if Day wanted to do that. Maybe Dabo gets fired or quits & Brent Venables is looking for a job this winter - who knows? What I *do* know is that Ohio State's defense is likely to be one of the best in the nation next year.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 89 Comments