Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Ohio State Explains Reason For Low Attendance On Saturday

+4 HS
airbuckeye's picture
September 21, 2021 at 9:34pm
62 Comments

Ohio State football had its lowest crowd attendance since 1971 last Saturday when the Buckeyes played Tulsa. Ohio State was coming off the heels of a devastating defeat to the Oregon Ducks in Columbus. A bummer of a result combined with a lackluster Week 3 opponent resulted in poor crowd attendance last Saturday.

Just 76,540 fans attended the Ohio State-Tulsa game. It’s the lowest attendance at an Ohio State football game since Sept. 11, 1971 when the Buckeyes played Iowa. 75,596 people attended that day.

Ohio State’s crowd last Saturday should have been much higher. According to the Buckeyes, there were 20,000 people who had tickets to the Ohio State-Tulsa game who wound up not attending.  It’d be interesting to find out how many of those who had tickets but didn’t attend are season-ticket holders.  The reality is the Ohio State fan-base expects greatness from the Buckeyes. OSU’s loss to Oregon was bound to draw out a few fair-weather fans. It sounds like you could classify at least 20,000 in that capacity.

The Buckeyes didn’t exactly put together a strong performance versus Tulsa, either. They struggled to pull away until the fourth quarter, but walked off with a 41-20 win.

Attendance at “The Shoe” this Saturday could be even worse. Ohio State takes on Akron. To make matters worse, it’s a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff on the Big Ten Network.

The Buckeyes’ crowd attendance should improve when they host Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 9. Three weeks later, they’ll host Penn State in what should be one of the best Big Ten Games.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           This is something I still to this day do not understand. People pay good money to go to the games but yet over the years I have seen people leave anywhere from Mid 3 Quarter through the 4th quarter when OSU is winning the game.

To me that is just plain stupid to shell out that much money and not stay to the end even when OSU is Behind in the game. Any time I can get lucky enough to get ticket to the game I stay till the end win or lose.

I know for years I had to hear my X's father mouth for Months when OSU lost TTUN during the Copper years. I would always tell that's ok wait till next year only to see next year be the same as last year.

I was born and raised an OSU Fan and I will Die a OSU Fan I never give up hope even when they are down in a game. My Mother Raised me right in hating everything about that State to the North.

I have had to travel up there more than a few time's to take my Son to a Private Christian High School and drop him off at the start of the year then go pick him up for Holidays and back after.

On one of those trips my car broke down and was forced to spend the night there in the School rented me a car to get home the next day. But just that one night was like spending a week in jail.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 62 Comments