Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

College Football Lines Week 2

+6 HS
Spartan13's picture
September 8, 2021 at 5:35pm
18 Comments

Week 2 is approaching and below are the odds for big games curtesy of Bovada. A fun thing to watch is how bad the analytics are did against the spread last week. Basically the stats from last year are worthless making games hard to predict based on last years performance and returning production. Truly an eye test kind of year. 

Performance tracking:
Paperhandsman 1-0: Man is wayyy over .500 and confidence is at an all time high after winning his bet by .5 points. Riding his favorite team again this week.
Spartan13 2-1: Had a parlay of OSU-14 and Texas-7.5, got half an counting it as a win. Won Ole Miss/UL under 69.5 by the skin of my balls and lost ND-6. Feel bad losing it after they were up 17 but my fault for putting faith in Brian Kelly. 

Week 2 Lines

• Illinois @ Virginia(-10)-This line has jumped up coming off an embarassing loss from Illinois
  • Miamia Oh @ Minnesota(-20)-Minny is a big favorite against a Miami team coming off a beatdown from UC. Minny is looking to get on the right track with extra time to prepare against a top half of the MAC team. Does Minnesota's offense let them win by this much before the clock runs out?
  • Oregon @ OSU(-14.5)-This line just wont stop going up. Beating the #11 team in the country by more than 2 touchdowns would be quite the feat and the question is which defense is willing to actually get some stops? I think OSU wins easily but this number is just way too big. 
  • Rutgers @ Syracuse(-2.5)-Man look what Schiano has done, in 2019 they went 2-10 and now they are road favorites against an ACC team. I don't know enough about either team to bet it but I am really rooting for the Knights. Would be a huge win and they would go 3-0 next week against Delaware. 
  • Air Force(-5.5) @ Navy-Bringing up this game to talk about the O/U 40.5. Service academies always get very low unders and the games go under wayyy over .500(closer to 70% of the time.) I am not a big fan of betting O/Us but I am on the under for this game. 
  • Iowa @ ISU(-4.5)-First ever top 10 game in what is a great rivalry in recent years. This game is going to be beautiful. ISU on paper is expected to be much better but struggled with UNI and Iowa smashed Indiana last week. I am all in on Iowa just not sure if I want the points or not yet. ISU has a really interesting defense that is actually a 3-2-6 that is designed to shut down spread offenses. They are able to consistently beat OU and Texas in part because of this and they have recruited really well for that system. The problem? Ferentz and the boys ain't coming in to toss the ball around and simply by design there is a huge stylistic mismatch. ISU gets a lot of credit for a 9-3 2020 season where they won by more than score only 2 times(not including Kansas.) Can't wait. 
  • App State @ Miami-Miami basically gets credited for a win by the media for losing to Bama but this line shows they may be in a bit of an interesting game against App State. How well does Miami recover?
  • NC State-2.5 @ Mississippi State-My pick of the week is NC State-2.5. This line makes 0 sense if you actually look at the two teams. MSU is just flat out bad and NC State really has a nice team this year. Bet this heavy and make some money on NC State before the public finds out about them. 
  • Texas-7 @ Arkansas-Texas would never lose to a bad Arkansas team a week after everybody gives them all the credit in the world for beating a Sun Belt team right? No way that doesn't sound like Texas.
  • Washington @ Michigan-7-Man this line also just keeps going up. After an embarassing loss to Montana, Washington has to travel across the country to play a night game @Michigan. Michigan played well against a top MAC team last week and this is a massive game for Harbaugh. Michigan has a brutal schedule and in order to get to the 8/9 win range to end the season with dignity he will need to pull off a win here. Washington was simply incompetent on offense against an FCS school. Michigan's defensive coordinator could announce himself as a rising star or make himself a laughing stock if he does worse than Montana.     
  • Utah -7 @ BYU-Another really good rivalry that isnt talked about much. I am in on Utah here. BYU is really bad this year in a similar way to Northwestern(went from most experienced team last year to least experienced this year, but everybody still thinks they are good because of wins from last year.)

Not a great week of football compared to last week but OSU/Oregon at noon, Iowa/ISU at 430, and Washington/Michigan at night fill out a decent schedule. 

My bets:
NC State-2.5, Utah-6.5, Air Force/Navy under 40.5, 
$2 parlay, OSU ML, OK State ML, Va Tech ML, ND ML, PSU ML, A&M ML, UGA ML, South Alabama ML, Iowa ML, Wisconsin ML, NC State ML.       

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments