Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Breakdown of Coach Day's 2nd Q&A Session

+5 HS
Weave77's picture
July 23, 2021 at 3:37pm
11 Comments

After his formal Q&A session at the B1G Media Days presser, Coach Day held a more informal Q&A session with some of the journalists on the Ohio State beat. While Kevin already posted the video of the interview earlier, I thought I'd repost it along with a breakdown of what Coach Day said, as some of it was pretty interesting. 

• Given the unique factors of COVID, JTT's recruitment was "probably a once in a lifetime situation" with regards to chasing a recruit so far past National Signing Day.
  • There is more to Palaie Gaoteote's NCAA situation than a standard transfer, with Coach Day saying "this is more of an eligibility situation".
  • Steele Chambers is still officially a running back, but he has also worked with the Coach Al Washington and the linebackers this offseason. Ultimately, they are leaving the decision regarding which position he plays going forward up to him.
  • There were "no hard feelings" when Jameson Williams transferred to Alabama during the offseason. While he hates to see guys leave, Coach Day acknowledged that the Buckeyes have a loaded WR room and understands why Jameson made his decision.
  • Coach Day expects the QB competition to be "very close". He also said that it's a long season, and "we're going to need all of them, I know in my heart we are going to", so the most important thing was not who was named the starter for Week 1 against Minnesota, but that each quarterback focused on "their development and getting better" even after the start of the season.
  • Reading between the lines, it sounds like a starter will be named after the first two weeks of camp. Day said that they will spread out the workload pretty equally between the 3 QBs at first, and then they would start to "prioritize the snaps" after the first two weeks.
  • As expected, Kourt Williams and Cam Brown are completely healthy and will be "full go" at the start of camp.
  • It sounds like the vast majority of the team is vaccinated. Coach Day acknowledged the competitive advantage of having the whole team vaccinated, and while they won't force anyone to do so, they are "getting close" and "in the end, hopefully we get close to 100%".
  • When asked if the beard was here to stay, Coach Day replied, "we don't know".

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments