Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Week's Question: Which Player(s) Will Lead Ohio State in Tackles and Tackles for Loss in 2021?

Chris Lauderback's picture
June 7, 2021 at 8:00am
13 Comments

Earlier this week, I took a look at last year's defensive struggles, particularly in creating tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third down. Of course, the defense also couldn't stop anyone through the air (No. 122 in passing defense out of 127 teams) while ranking a modest No. 43 in scoring defense giving up 25.9 points per game.

Yes, no spring ball, pandemic protocols, an initially canceled season and finally an abbreviated season all factored in the defense's struggles, along with Kerry Coombs not really being able to install his scheme(s).

This season, the expectation is for Covid-19 to factor far less into things but Coombs and company still need to replace more than half of last season's starters. Maybe in some ways that's a good thing. I guess we'll see. 

Gone are Ohio State's top-five tacklers from 2020: Pete Werner, Tuf Borland, Shaun Wade, Justin Hilliard and Baron Browning. 

Also gone is 50% of last season's tackles for loss (23 of 46) with the departures of those noted above along with Jonathon Cooper. 

So which dudes will step up to fill the void? Give me your leading tackler and top tackles for loss guy for the 2021 season and add some reasoning behind your selections. 

If you're curious, Marcus Williamson is the leading returning tackler after finishing sixth last year with 27 stops. Zach Harrison is the leading tackles for loss guy after posting 4.5 last year, good for second on the team. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments