THE PERTINENT INFO
When: Saturday, October 26, 2019
Where: Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
TV: Noon // FOX
Announcers: Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt and Jenny Taft
This will be the 83rd time Ohio State and Wisconsin (6–1) have faced each other in football. The Buckeyes hold a 59–18–5 advantage in the all-time series and are 30–7–3 when playing the Badgers in Columbus.
Paul Chryst's team is coming off of a stunning 24-23 defeat to Illinois. The Badgers were a 30.5-point favorite. This was the largest upset in the B1G since Northwestern defeated Minnesota as a 32-point underdog in 1982.
Below, you will find some interesting facts about the teams, key offensive player stats, coach information, and team stats.
THE LAST TIME...
- Ohio State played Wisconsin, the Buckeyes beat the Badgers 27-21 in the 2017 Big Ten Championship.
- This game was played in Columbus, the Scarlet and Gray won 31-24 in 2013.
- The Buckeyes played the eitghth game of the season against Wisconsin was 2002. The team defeated the Badgers 19-14 in Madison.
- Ohio State played on October 26th was 2013. The team defeated Penn State, 63-14, in Columbus.
- OSU played the Badgers on October 26th was 1963. The unranked Buckeyes beat No. 2 Wisconsin 16-13 in Madison
- The Scarlet and Gray lost the eighth game of the season at home was 1991. No. 11 Iowa beat No. 13 Ohio State 16-9.
ON THE HORIZON
- K.J. Hill is 10 yards away from 2,000 career receiving yards, he will be the ninth Ohio State player to reach this milestone.
- Chase Young needs 0.5 a sack to become the second Buckeye to have back-to-back double digit sack seasons.
- Jordan Fuller is one tackle away from 200 for his career.
- J.K. Dobbins is 53 yards away from 1,000 for the season. He will become the first player in program history to rush for over 1,000 yards as a freshman, sophomore and junior.
- K.J. Hill is currently second on Ohio State's all-time receptions list. He needs 18 catches to tie David Boston (191) for first.
- The Buckeyes are going for their seventh straight win over Wisconsin. Ohio State has won 9 out of the last 10 in the series.
LET'S GO STREAKING
- Ohio State has won 13 consecutive games.
- The Buckeyes have an interception in all seven games this season.
- Chase Young has a sack in nine consecutive games.
- J.K. Dobbins has rushed for at least 100 yards in three straight games.
- Ryan Day's offense has scored at least 21 points in the second quarter in six straight games.
- Ohio State has 11 consecutive wins against teams ranked teams.
GET TO KNOW WISCONSIN
- Wisconsin is located in Madison, WI.
- The university was established in 1839.
- The Badgers are in their 131st season of playing football.
- Bucky the Badger, the team's mascot, made its debut in 1940.
- Wisconsin has won 14 Big Ten Conference championshiops. However, six of them are as co-champions
Notable alumni are: Alan Amache (1954 Heisman Trophy winner) Ron Dayne (1999 Heisman Trophy winner), Arnie Herber (NFL Hall of Fame QB), Elroy Hirsch* (NFL Hall of Fame), J.J. Watt (Texans), Phil Hellmuth (crybaby poker player) Lewis Wolff (owner of the A's and San Jose Earthquake), Andy Katz (ESPN), Dick Cheney (former vice president with a bad heart and bad aim), John L. Savage (chief engineer of Hoover Dam) Michael Mann (film director and executive producer of Miami Vice) Seann William Scott (Stiffler in American Pie) David Zucker (director and writer of Airplane!, created The Naked Gun) and Jerry Zucker (director of Airplane! and Ghost), Charles Lindbergh** (aviator), Donald Goerke (inventor of SpaghettiOs), William S. Harley and William H. and Willie G. Davidson (Harley Davidson).
*Also played for Michigan
**Attended, did not graduate
TODAY'S TRIVIA QUESTIONS:
- Ohio State leads the nation in rushing plays of 40 or more yards. How many times have the Buckeyes had a running play of 40 or more yards this season?
- Blake Haubeil bombed a 55-yard field goal to end the first half against Northwestern. Who has the longest field goal in program history?
- How many touchdown passes have the Silver Bullets allowed this season?
Answers at the bottom of today's article.
|JUSTIN FIELDS||1,492 YDS // 22 TD // 1 INT||PASSING||JACK COAN||1,383 YDS // 9 TD // 2 INT|
|J.K. DOBBINS||947 YDS // 7.1 YPC // 7 TD||RUSHING||JONATHAN TAYLOR||957 YDS // 6.1 YPC // 15 TD|
|BINJIMEN VICTOR||355 YDS // 3 TD||RECEIVING||QUINTEZ CEPHUS||353 YDS // 3 TD|
|CHASE YOUNG||9.5||SACKS||CHRIS ORR||8.0|
|JEFF OKUDAH||3||INTERCEPTIONS||ERIC BURRELL||1|
|K.J. HILL||7.6 YPR||PUNT RETURNER||JACK DUNN||9.0|
|DEMARIO McCALL||22.1 YPR||KICKOFF RETURN||ARON CRUICKSHANK||28.2|
|DRUE CHRISMAN||46.9||PUNTING||ANTHONY LOTTI||40.0|
- 10–0 (1.00) at Ohio State
- 10–0 (1.00) overall
Day's hometown is Manchester, NH. He attended Manchester High School and attended college at New Hampshire. Day has been in coaching for 18 years and is Ohio State's 25th head coach.
After this season's first six games, Ryan Day and the Buckeyes are outscoring their opponents 296-53. That is an average victory of 49-9. The numbers stay fairly steady when you add in the three games Day coached last season.
After nine games with Day as head coach, Ohio State is beating teams by an average score of 52-13. The only teams not to lose to Day by more than 40 points are Oregon State, TCU and Florida Atlantic. He has the program record for points scored after his first nine games with 465.
Urban Meyer, Earle Bruce and Carroll Widdoes are the only other coaches in program history to start their careers with nine straight victories. However, none of them won their games as convincingly as Day.
- 48–13 (.787) at Wisconsin (5th year)
- 67–32 (.676) overall as a college head coach (8th year)
- 30–9 (.769) against B1G opponents
Paul Chryst was born in Madison, Wisconsin and played quarterback and tight end for the Badgers from 1986-88. After being an assistant coach for various collegiate and professional teams over 23 seasons, Pittsburgh gave Chryst his first head coaching job in 2012. After going 19–19 with the Panthers, Chryst received the call from Wisconsin and headed back home.
Chryst has been the Badgers head coach since 2015. In time the program has a 67– 31 overall record and is 30– 8 in Big Ten play. Wisconsin has played in four consecutive bowl games and won them all. Last year was the first time the Badgers did not finish a season ranked in the top 25 under Chryst's regime.
CLIFF CLAVEN'S LITTLE KNOWN FACTS CORNER
- 0......Justin Fields did not have a rushing TD against Northwestern, the first time he did not score on a rushing TD as a Buckeye.
- 1......Home loss Ohio State has had against Big Ten opponents since 2012.
- 2......Ohio State's rank in total defense.
- 4......J.K. Dobbins' national rank in total rushing yards.
- 5.......Dobbins' rank on the Buckeyes' all-time rushing list.
- 7.......Times the Buckeyes have had a run of 50 or more yards this season, a nation's best.
- 8.......True freshman played in Evanston.
- 12.....Times the Buckeyes have had a run of 30 or more yards this season.
- 14.....Different Buckeyes have scored a touchdown this year.
- 15.....Rushing touchdowns (nation's best) for Wisconsin's Jonathan Taylor.
- 20.....Sacks for Chase Young in the last 21 games (best in the country).
- 21.....Times the Buckeyes have scored 40 or more points since 2017.
- 22.....Touchdown passes for Justin Fields.
- 24.....Consecutive wins is the program record set by Urban Meyer in 2012-13.
- 30.....Touchdowns Fields has accounted for through seven games.
- 33.....Straight games the Scarlet and Gray has scored at least 20 points.
- 41.....Straight games K.J. Hill has caught a pass, the program record is 48.
- 65.....Punts Drue Chrisman has downed inside the 20 during his OSU career.
- 99.....Number of wins Ohio State has had this decade.
- 116...Touchdown passes thrown by Ohio State quarterbacks since 2017.
- 193...Offensive touchdowns for the Buckeyes since 2017.
- 231...Points scored by OSU in the first half this season, opposing teams have 31.
- 305...Yards of offense Ohio State averages this season...in the first half.
- 348...The number of points the Buckeyes have scored in seven games, the most ever in program history.
- 454...wins OSU has had in Ohio Stadium.
- 587...Buckeye football games played in Ohio Stadium.
- 602...Yards rushing the Buckeyes have racked up in the last two games.
- 826...Rushing yards for Dobbins this season, second in the Big Ten.
- 910...Times Ohio State has been ranked in the AP poll.
- 918...Number of official wins for the program (we know it's actually 930).
|87.7||2nd||PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE||82.3||1st|
TODAY'S TRIVIA ANSWERS
Ohio State leads the nation in rushing plays of 40 or more yards. How many times have the Buckeyes had a running play of 40 or more yards this season?
Answer: Ten. As mentioned above, Ohio State also leads the nation with seven runs of 50 yards or more.
Blake Haubeil bombed a 55-yard field goal to end the first half against Northwestern. Who has the longest field goal in program history?
Answer: Tom Skladany. In 1975, he nailed a 59-yarder against Illinois in Champaign.
How many touchdown passes have the Silver Bullets allowed this season?
Answer: Three. That is tied for best in the country.