Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Okudah's Potential

+5 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture
July 27, 2019 at 10:52am
23 Comments

It's that time of the year when our good friends at Youtube are starting to post their "snap by snap vs" videos for individual players. I've been getting around to watching some of them, and historically, I have a good eye for Corner Backs. I remember calling Justin Gilbert as a bust and Kyle Fuller as a gem way back in 2013. Sure enough, one's a bust & the other is in the NFL's top 100 for 2019. If only Jason Verett wasn't beset by injuries... Corner Backs are just my thing, I love them. 

Having not been old enough to watch the Bucks in the 90's, the best CB I've personally seen in Scarlet & Grey is Marshon Lattimore. But after watching every Jeff Okudah snap against Washington, that might change. In my opinion, Jeff Okudah is the best player on our defense, not Chase Young. 

There was only one time in the entire UW game where Okudah was beat, and as for the pass interference, I'll take that over giving up a TD. Beyond that, there were at least 3 times where he goes all the way across the field to make a play, his field awareness is obscene. He's nearly always in position to jump a route if a QB tries to test him. He has a smooth back pedal, opens his hips well to turn & run with receivers, and has almost instantaneous reaction time to what's going on in front of him. 

My favorite part of his game though, is his physicality against the run. In today's game, there's lots of short gimme plays to WR's. Okudah extends his arms well to keep blockers from controlling him, and is very aggressive about dis-engaging from them. He uses his agility to get back in on plays that get behind him when he can't disengage fast enough. And most of all, he tackles well in the open field. You need that in today's spread offense world. 

His impact is felt on nearly every play he's on the field. If Arnette get's more snaps this season, I actually might commit ritual Seppuku. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments