Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

40 Year-old First-time OSU Coach--who You Got for 2019?

0 HS
GoBuckswin's picture
July 7, 2019 at 7:26pm
12 Comments

Ryan Day enters his first hc season with Ohio State. If you could have one of the following as a first time head coach at age 40, in 2019, would you take Woody, Urban, Jim Tressel or Ryan Day? Assuming no health issues for any of them and no crazy issues w/ tattoos or an assistant coach...

I would eliminate Woody b/c I do not think his coaching style that was so successful in the '50's, 60's and into the 70's would translate to today's high school and eventually college kids. He likely would be viewed as a worse (football) version of Bobby Knight. I would also not go w/ Day, since we just don't know enough about him at this point. Unfair, but have to take that into consideration.

I would pick Jim Tressel b/c I think at age 40, he could be your OSU head coach for 20 plus years, and have a great record against TTUN and probably win 2-3 championships and always have very good teams. For Tressel, OSU was always his dream job. I think a 40 year old Meyer, as a first time head coach, would at some point, maybe after only about 6-7 years, have the urge to either go to the NFL or conquer some other college situation. I think Meyer viewed the OSU job different when we got him b/c he already had been a HC at other schools. However, if he started w/ us at age 40, I don't know how many years he would have wanted to stay...

What do you think?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments