Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My CFP Playoff Rankings

0 HS
NGBuck21's picture
November 4, 2015 at 4:19pm
23 Comments

Hey all,

Curious to get people's thoughts. Let me first say I try to make my rankings based on pure on field statistics above anything else. I try to make it so winning on the field matters most. I think everyone can agree the best teams do not always win the championship. Case in point with the 2007 Patriots losing to the Giants. So I think winning trumps all. I will be honest I completely disregard the non-power 5 teams though. I base my rankings on the below:

1. Conference Champion

2. Record

3. Head to head

4. Opponents Winning % (I count an FCS school's record as all losses. So say they play 10 games I count them as 0-10. In my opinion, don't schedule these teams.)

5. Opponents with Winning Records (I do not count FCS)

So typically things will usually work themselves out at the end. For example, the only teams I consider after the regular season is the 5 conference champions. So if 4 are undefeated and one isn't it's easy to decide based with on field results. Another example would be if 2 champs were undefeated, 2 had 1 loss and the 5th champ had 2 losses. Having 2 losses would eliminate the 5th champ. I like the argument to always go back to if the team would have taken care of business on the field they would be in the playoff. So essentially win your division and/or conference, which is an on field result, and you are most likely in the playoff. I treat the regular season and the conference championship week almost like an extended first round of a playoff.

So as of today if the season ended, with no conf champions determined to this point, my rankings would be:

1. Michigan State (8-0, .5384 opp win %)

2. Clemson (8-0, .5074 opp win %)

3. Ohio State (8-0, .4853 opp win %)

4. LSU (8-0, .4697 opp win %)

5. Iowa (8-0, .4462 opp win %)

6. TCU (8-0, .3492 opp win %)

7. Oklahoma State (8-0, .3125 opp win %)

8. Baylor (7-0, .2857 opp win %)

And yes I was really bored today.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments