Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Just some quick thoughts on Dunn and Ball, that they should get the chance to come back next year

0 HS
Gobucks2204's picture
October 18, 2015 at 5:09pm
53 Comments

I've just been seeing some posts that Dunn and Ball will be 5th year seniors next year and that this will free up a spot for some new players. Personally, I feel like it is a bad trend to start having your redshirted players only play four seasons and be done with the program as redshirt seniors.

I know there have been a few players who Meyer and the player both agreed to move on. I think maybe Chris Carter but I'm not sure who else. I don't want us to become like Harbaugh's team where red shirted seniors had to try out for the team again to make the team. This sets a bad standard for our current redshirt players and those to come. If they are asked to redshirt their first year would they be then told they might only be able to play until their redshirt junior year and then need to move on?

I believe Dunn has earned more carries even for this year. He is a solid backup who is shifty and strong and makes the most of his brief time in the game. Granted he had the fluke fumble that got punched out while he was diving for extra yards awhile back.

I think he would be a good relief for Zeke in the flow of the game because he is another strong powerful back that can wear down a defense. I realize he would have to battle Samuel for some of these touches as well. I don't know as much about Warren Ball but perhaps he has a chance for special teams play. I would hate to see both of these Ohio guys have their time be up after their redshirt junior year. I could even see Dunn working into the rotation at first next year as Weber and Williams and whoever else we have gains experience. Of course he would have to battle Samuel for these carries as well if Samuel returns to the running back position.

I think both Dunn and Ball should be allowed to return next year if they want to, and are willing to keep working hard and improving. Dunn to be in the early rotation, and Ball on special teams, and a backup if we have some injuries. You can never have too many backs and special teams players. Plus they can continuing towards their degree or graduate studies depending where they are at as far as their academics. I'm not sure what the policy is for redshirt seniors and whether they continue to receive scholarship money or not. Are 5th seniors allowed to remain on the team and receive scholarship funds if they were just a traditional redshirt? Or do the 5th year seniors with red shirts because of medical reasons only continue to get scholarship aid?

Just wanted your guys thoughts. Go Bucks! TTUN sucks!

TLDR: Dunn and Ball should get a fifth year if they are still eligible to receive scholarship money for it.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 53 Comments