Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Why JT should be the starter and how the wide receiver depth will continue to be a problem

0 HS
Becool12's picture
October 18, 2015 at 8:59am
58 Comments

With JT unofficially stealing the show last night, I am really starting to see us develop a true offensive identity now. Cardale has done his best this season given the cards he was dealt but just hasn't been able to get it done. Throughout the season, I have said Cardale should have started to first game and JT should have started the rest. I think Urbs played his cards well. Though many of our games were close, I think he knew JT would end up winning out the job in the long run create a new spark for the team. With JT in the game, our offense is going to be completely different now. Zeke's carries should drastically decrease. His rushing productivity should slightly decrease also. But this will be done to give us a better chance at winning some of these big games. JT is the starter because he is able to compensate for some of our other weaknesses. He is better at reading defenses than Cardale. He isn't as shy about keeping the ball in his hands and running with it. Cardale's problem with the minute he faced adversity, he started to question himself and play more timidly. He began to tiptoe through the holes instead of trying to blast someone like he did last year. He always tried to make a passing play when one wasn't there unlike JT. He tried to squeeze passes into tight windows instead of pulling the ball down and heading up field. I wouldn't say JT is a "better fit" for this offense because Cardale is about as talented as Tim Tebow was. The difference between Cardale and JT is JT knows when to make plays happen by himself. 

But, with that said, we may face the same problems passing the ball as we have ever since the VT game. Not having a deep ball threat isn't just a problem facing Cardale. Last year, JT had Devin Smith and Evan Spencer line out wide with Mike Thomas, Jalin Marshall, and one of our tight ends lined up inside with a safety or linebacker covering him. With those constant mismatches it is easy to see how our offense was so explosive last season. This year we don't have the ability to rely on those mismatches. JT tucked and ran the ball smartly last game. But, if our wide receivers don't develop soon, teams are going to start stacking the box again and taking away the inside handoff and the qb option. I don't think it is possible for us to continue winning big games with our qb throwing the ball 4 times.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 58 Comments